High BP/kidney disease/Doxazosin

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been very sensitive to many BP pills over the last couple of years.  The only one without side effects for me is Losartant but it has failed to reduce my high BP.  The last BP pill added was Bisoprolol 6 months ago - diastolic BP has reduced well but not the systolic BP and unfortunately my kidney function has plummeted 9 points from eGFR 45 to eGFR 36 whilst being on the Bisoprolol.  At today's renal appointment, the Bisoprolol was stopped and I have to start taking Doxazosin tomorrow.  Getting panicky now with eGFR kidney function having dropped by so much so quickly and now fear what the Doxazosin will do too.  Between a rock and a hard place now. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Please tell me that you're not on the alcohol at the moment?
    • Posted

What a dreadful thing to suggest to a stranger.
    • Posted

Perhaps you may want to take your foot out of your mouth. MrsO and I have traded a few messages, and she will know that I was not being rude.
    • Posted

It would not appear that way to anyone reading it and from her reply she was obviously surprised that you asked.

If you have traded messages you would know of her background and wide knowledge of her conditions as she is a long term contributer to this Forum.

• Posted

Thank you for your support, Derek.  But please don't involve yourself in any stress on my behalf!
    • Posted

What a lovely thought!  I haven't written a card or made the cake yet!

​The new Doxazosin BP pill seems to be working as my BP reading today was 152/58 followed by 154/54.  Better than my usual 200 systolic.  However, my pulse is 85 which is high for me especially after the beta blocker which I came off last week had reduced it to very low at around 50.  Very aware of heartbeat too, particularly when returning to bed after a night time trip to the bathroom - it was thumping.  I've emailed the renal consultant for some reassurance.  Hope you're doing ok, Derek.

• Posted

I have been in a similar situation with being unsuccessful with numerous drugs and I'm astounded it's happening to me when one in three individuals in the US has high blood pressure and the vast majority are being successfully treated.

Each person responds differently to each drug so you just need to keep trying to find the right drug. Hopefully you can find a doctor that is patient and willing to help you find the treatment you need. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and kind wishes.  I'm sorry to hear that you are also having problems with drugs - at least it's a sort of comfort knowing we are not alone!

​The new pill started today is about the 8th one in the last couple of years.  Really crossing everything that it works to reduce my blood pressure now without any too nasty side effects so that I can tolerate it, but mostly praying that my kidney function doesn't deteriorate any further - I only have one anyway!

​All the best to you in your search for successful treatment.

• Posted

If your doctor did not adequately describe the possible side effects of the newest drug, I think your pharmacist will be helpful here.

Some BP drugs affect some people in ways that don't bother others - but best you know what the possibilities are - your pharmacist is the expert here.

If your kidney situation was from the drug - hopefully it will right itself in a short while. 

Are you having any swelling in your ankles? If so You may wish to consider homeopathy - for me it works wonders - and no side effects.

Also areyou drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily - its a big help to keep kidneys functioning well. A multivitamin with zinc also.

Hopefully when you are well informed (by your pharmacist/homeopath) your worry will decrease substantially - wishing you well. 

• Posted

Thank you diazy.  I've popped the first of the new pills today and crossed everything!

​I only have one kidney, having had one removed as a youngster but the remaining one has served me well for very many years.......until an auto immune, inflammatory condition remained undiagnosed for so long that I had to resort to Ibuprofen to cope with horrendous pain.  Either the uncontrolled inflammation or the Ibuprofen must have damaged the kidney as I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease.  Blood pressure then started climbing very high, possibly due to the low functioning kidney or to some serious family health worries.

I don't have any swelling in my ankles, as long as I stay away from several of the BP drugs.

​I drink about 5 glasses of water daily.  I'm interested in hearing about your recommendation for multivitamin and zinc but will have to check these out for compatibility with my medications first and also whether safe for my kidney.

It sounds as though you are being treated successfully and I hope that continues for you.

• Posted

I HAVE JUST BEEN GIVEN DOXAZOSIN AFTER A GFR DROP FROM 22 TO 15.  I AM ASKING YOU IF IT HELPED YOUR KIDNEY FUNCTION?  I HAVE BEEN TAKING SOME SOME DRUGS THAT HAVE BEEN LOWERING MY KIDNEY FUNCTION.  I DO NOT SEE ANYTHING ON GOOGLE OR ANY SITES THAT THOUGHT IT WOULD BE GOOD TO TAKE WITH CHD.  HOPE YOU CAN LET ME KNOW THANKS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.