High BP Not Responding To Meds

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all,

I am a 33 year old male, I do not smoke and never have, I don't drink alcohol unless its a special occasion, I eat quite healthy, workout 3 x per week with weights.

My blood pressure started spiking over the past 2 years, Feb 2014 I ws hitting levels of 170/125, I was flushing with headache, My GP surgery (I have seen various GPs there keep putting it down to stress/anxiety or essential hypertension) I did have 3, 24 hour urine tests, one of which came back with slight above range catecholamines, I think the adrenaline one, but I was then told to cut out certain foods/drink and redo the tests both of which came out normal after.

I am in need of an eye operation, however I failed pre-op as my blood pressure on the day was consistant 160/110, I have since been trying to get this down and have tried Ramipril 2.5mg - not enough 5g made me very fatigued and still didnt bring it down, propranolol 80mg sustained release (worked for a little time) propranolol 160mg sustained release ( hindered my exercise without making a massive difference to bp), currently on Ramipril 2.5mg alongside amlodopine 5mg for the past 2 days, bp readings from today are, 159/98 - 70bpm (irregular beat detected), 140/88 - 83 bpm, 144/89 - 85 bpm, 160/101 - 75 bpm, 143/101 - 79 bpm, 156/109 - 81 bpm.

I have asked for 24 hour bp monitoring and ecg monitoring but have been refused by my gp saying they dont do that anymore, not sure where to go with this, I will fail pre-op again and I also believe this is going to be secondary hypertension. any ideas?

I have had what I would call boarderline high BP for some years as in my baseline was around 140/90

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

On the other hand if it was in the Daily Mail then it must be right rolleyes !! That's what my trainee journalist young grand daughter would say to me,
    • Posted

My GP often says that sounds like a Daily Mail story. The practice nurse buys the Mail to be prepared for the influx of patients an article can bring in. 
    • Posted

A god daughter who is a GP gets quite irritated when patients come in brandishing the paper demanding the treatment/medicine/whatever that the Mail  is recommending that week ! 

That said,  I do like my Daily Mail !

• Posted

Well its my 2nd day of Losartan, not taking bp yet will test it in a few days time, however my beliefs on high bp and cholesterol for that matter do not match those of western medicine.

The high bp for me is a symptom of a greater underlying issue in the body, the medications at best a way of masking a symptom, at worst a violation of biological law.

I would much rather try and put right the wrongs by doing the right things, ie, eating how we are meant to eat, living how we are meant to live, there are plenty of studies out there proving that the mortality rate for people with high bp to people with "normal" bp is no difference.

I really am only taking anything to get this operation done, after that I will withdraw all medications (chemicals)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.