High BP symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

i take 5mg Bisprolol for irregular heart rhythms and up to now my BP has been ok being on average 130/80. However today I haven’t felt quite right and have had a really hot face and feel like I’m shaking on the inside. When I took my BP it was 148/84 and on a couple of occasions a little bit higher. Panic stations. However after trying to calm myself down my Bp which I took an hour ago was down to 143/75 with a pulse of 75. My face is cooling down and the internal shaking seems to be settling. Anyone else had these symptoms please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue I take 20mg of nipedipine or Adalat tabs for high blood pressure. I’ve felt jittery and rapid pulse too. I’ve been able to calm myself BP low or normal but pulse a bit high so I’m thinking side effects of meds, I’ve only been taking meds 6 days and hate being on them! 
  • Posted

It might be wise to check with the Dr and maybe have some blood tests.  I had to stop bisoprolol because it drastically reduced my sodium levels.
    • Posted

Hi Mrs O. What were the symptoms please and do you mind me asking why you were taking Bisoprolol
    • Posted

Sue, I was prescribed Bisoprolol for high blood pressure but, being a beta blocker, it is often prescribed for patients with an irregular heartbeat as in your case and for Atrial Fibrillation.  I was only started on a low dose but I very quickly became very lethargic and going for a walk would see me returning home toatally exhausted, weak-feeling and tearful.  Blood tests then pointed to the cause being low sodium levels due to the Bisoprolol.  Your BP hasn’t been spiking dangerously high during your ‘episodes’.  One thought is whether you might be having spikes in your sugar levels - that could cause the shaky feeling you describe.  Do check it out with the Dr.
    • Posted

Veewat, I have been taking Losartan Potassium 50mg for the last 3 years without any of my usual discernible side effects.  However, it isn't controlling my BP on its own, so my consultant keeps trying to add in another medication - have now tried about 7 different meds but my body has failed to tolerate any of them.  Losartan is ok at 50mg but not if the dose is increased.  My next appointment is in a couple of weeks and I know that the consultant is considering changing yet again.  I pose a real challenge, not least because I have just a sole kidney and chronic kidney disease and many medications are a no-go area for fear of reducing my kidney function still further.  Having said all this, I would recommend anyone to try Losartan Potassium if they are struggling with side effects from other drugs - it is the BP drug that my very trusted pharmacist tells me is the one about which he hears the least reports of side effects from patients. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.