High calprotectin .

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi . ive recently had high calprotectin .1800,900,1550. ive alos had low b12 under 44 twice .then after injections 800 then 240 and 252 .

ive had an endoscopy and colonoscopy . the endoscopy showed a small hernia and active and inactive chronic gastritis .the colonoscopy didnt show anything but they took biopsies as my calprotectin was so high . awaiting results from them . im at a loss to know whats going on as high calprotectin is for IBD.

my initial doctors appointment was for stomach cramps and bloating and being sick sometimes . since having b12 my tummy has improved though .

im still having symptoms of low b12 . joint pain,numb feet ,tinatus ,tiredness and brain fog . ive also in the past had mouth ulcers .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi johnathan2312

You need to bring your b12 back up....how old are you?..if you are over 55yrs b12 from food and supplements will not absorb through your digestive system due lack of the protein Intrinsic Factor which diminshes as we get older...so you will need injections to bring up yr b12. If over 55yrs your b12 levels should be between 500-900. If you are a young person start taking b12 supplements or get b12 patches online..Once your b12 is back up to normal levels things should improve alot...

• Posted

i was 50 last year . i had the loading doses of b12 and ive had a top up injection

• Posted

Hi johnathan2312

I assume you have top up of b12 every three months. This is the usual procedure. When you have your top up you will feel alot better as will your tum i would imagine, if your stomach improved after your last b12 top up. Wait for your top up and see what happens and take it from there.👍😊....

• Posted

What did your doctor say about your high calprotectin? If your stomach is better after taking B12, treatment, it would suggest low b12 has been part of your problem.

• Posted

doctor just sent me for endoscopy and colonoscopy which i had yesterday. cant understand why calprotectin so high as everything ive read indicates inflamation like crohns or uc

• Posted

Your colonoscopy results should tell your doctor why your calprotectin is so high; that is why your doctor sent you for this procedure. Your doctor should be able to explain this to you once you get your results and you go for your follow up appointment. Googling reasons will not give you accurate information for your particular case. Google only gives general information. Doing this will only increase your anxiety. Calmly wait for your results and your doctor's diagnosis which will give you an accurate picture of what could be causing your high calprotectin. Only these two things will give you the answers you are looking for.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.