High Calprotectin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, what is everyone’s take on my situation? I have been ill for years with Ibs and I now have calprotectin levels of 338. I had a colonoscopy last week that was clear and ok. I have pain in Lower abdomen near my appendix that I’m thinking is with IBS or my ovary, although my periods are ok. Anyone had similarities? My my had Crohn’s disease 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

A calprotectin level of 250 or above is high.  Some people with IBS can have high calprotectin which is not high enough to be IBD. What has your doctor suggested since your colonoscopy is clear?   Some people with Crohns will not show any inflamnation in their colon because the ulcerations are in their upper digestive tract.   Crohns can be either in the colon or upper digestive tract or both.  Speak to your doctor again to see if you need an endoscopy to investigate this possibility.

In the meantime, look out for symptoms such as weight loss, diarrhoea and bleeding which are typical with Crohns.

• Posted

Hi thank you for replying , the GI and GP say my calprotectin should be 50 or under. No one has mentioned anything, my mum has crohns of the small intestine 
    • Posted

Ask for your upper digestive tract to be examined to rule in/out   Crohns of the small intestine (stomach).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.