High Cholesterol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,This is a first for me on this forum.   I just have a couple of questions I'd like to ask.    

Firstly,3mths ago I had a blood test that revealed that my cholesterol was 7 and due to having a heart attack 6yrs ago my GP advised me to go on statins,but because I'm on such a lot of other meds I didn't really want anymore.  She suggested I try Avastatin for 3mths to see how I got on with it,but once on statins you can't come off.

Secondly, After 3mths I had another blood test which revealed my cholesterol at 5. But I'm told once on you have to stay on them.

WHY.?      Why can't you come off them and start to control it with food?     I really don't want to be on all this medication,some are a matter of life or death,but I've been put on no end of meds that I'm now struggling to get off.

Anyone got any answers?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'd try lecithin capsules, available at all health food stores.  In my mid-forties I started on lecithin for an allergy on consuming chicken,i.e., my hands would break out and start oozing clear fluid, no pain, no itchiness, no open wounds. In library read about a pamphlet which had the answer, ordered it from U.K., and the advice was lecithin and if not available in your area, olive oil which has lecithin, 1 tbsp morning and 1 tbsp evening, after meals.  Six months and to this day, can eat all the chicken I want with no problems. Turns out that lecithin is a powerful blood cleanser, that it even emulsifies any plaque or goo in your arteries.  This is my recourse for cholesterol issues as I don't care for statins like most everyone.  There, I have been on lecithin since my mid-forties, 1 capsule morning and evening.  When I was in my 70's (still on lecithin) I happened to enter a store where a med-tech was analyzing blood smears on glass slides, compliments of the health food store.  My blood looked fine under the microscope, she said, the only problem is she can't find a trace of cholesterol, asked me what I was taking---lecithin.  Was advised to quit the lecithin for a while for our body needs some cholesterol, too.  I was off for 1 year, all told, now am back again.  No cholesterol issues, no statins.  That's probably why I am 83 years old, with only a pacemaker to show for my years. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Samee,That sounds wonderful. I'm 72yrs old and since reaching 50yrs I seem to have everything go wrong. First it started with palpatations that they gave me a drug for,that done the job for 15yrs. Next I started with Rheumatoid Athritis,another drug,then,was told I had Emphesema ,I had a bad chest infection that I almost lost my life,age 63yrs,came out of Hostpital with another bag full of drugs.  2yrs on I had a Heart Attack more drugs,but one of them drugs gave me an Underactive thyroid,I then was scand and they found I had Osteoporosis so an injection twice a year,that was due to steroids for my chest infections.  Just to top it all I have had chronic IBS for 13yrs,which I'm having a MRI scan for on Saturday to see if it may be a trapped nerve.    So to be told 3mths ago my cholesterol was high and another drug,you can probably see my concern.

I believe a lot of my problems have been caused by medics and drugs,so I'm a bit aware now.

But your reply has given me a bit of hope,so thank you for replying.

• Posted

I see that you've had your share of medical issues which accounts for effort to shy away from them.  I had heart meds that caused me to go hungry often, one that made me anorexic, had no desire to eat.  Hopefully no more offending meds right.  Do not expext immediate results with lecithin, though, taking it regularly is the key.  Keep at it, it is not a drug, just know that it is doing good for your blood and general health.  Your other issues do not seem that serious.  Pay closer heed to your emphysema, strive with good medical care and advice to ensure you keep it on check.  If you have to move to a warmer climate, that will help a lot. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Norma.

I've been in a similar situation to you - my cholesterol was 7.5 and I refused statins as I didn't want any more meds. Despite a good diet, and a clear angiogram 2 years ago, I had a heart attack 8 weeks ago and an angio revealed an artery was 80% blocked and so a stent was fitted. I was immediately put on statins and other meds in the hospital. It seems my body makes more cholesterol than usual due to hereditary factors and an underactive thyroid but after seeing that after only 2 years an artery could become so seriously blocked, I'm in favour of statins as each heart attack leaves some permanent damage to the heart and there's little warning of it happening and also, a 'heart event' affects the future quality of our lives as it is mine now.

I suppose my initial refusal to go on more meds was because I felt that my body should be able to deal with things if I'm reasonably healthy and fit - which I was, but really, it was maybe a refusal to accept that I'm getting older and my engine and its parts are wearing out. I'm 64 by the way.      

At the end of the day, its your choice though. 

Kind regards

Jo

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Jo.  I had my heart attack at your age or around there,and I can say things will get a bit better for you in time.

I am on statins at the moment but I really don't want to be.  After I had my heart attack I was put on a low statin and my GP said there was no need for it as it was only low.  But that was a GP who knew me for years so I was fine with his judgement. But he has retired and I can honestly say there is no other GP in our practice or district that I have any confidence in. Even my cardiologist that I had has gone,and he was just the best.

I have had such a lot of mistakes made with my health,that I tend to look into everything now.  I think nowadays GPs are just pill happy,they can't be bothered with you like they used to,and don't tell me they don't have the time,because everytime me or my hubby go to see our GP the waiting rooms always empty,yet we've probably had to wait two weeks for an appointment.  Sorry to rant on but if you had been through some of the trauma me and my hubby have had over the last year,you would understand.      But I do value your oppinion,and thank you for taking the time to reply,especially after what you've coped with recently.

You take care.

• Posted

Hi Norma. 

Thanks for reply. I DO understand where you're coming from believe me and agree with you. I'm not too happy with NHS care these days either, I've had to fight to get some info and appts since the heart attack and good care seems too spasmodic - I wonder if its the luck of the draw generally? Over the years, I've experienced indifferent and yet excellent care or treatment, but now, the NHS is really struggling and I'm thinking we patients have to be more health savvy and even more responsible for our well being than we may have been especially as we get older. Thank goodness though for computers and the info we get on them !

Thanks also for the encouragement, it was kind of you. And I hope things work out for you and your husband. 

Kind regards

Jo

• Posted

Just thought I would update. I seen my GP yesterday to discuss my being on statins.   Well he suggested that I stay on for another 3mths, and if I can then get my cholesterol lower ( it's 5) then we'll consider coming off.

So I was a bit happier at that.  Hope you all well.

• Posted

Hi Norma. I'm glad you feel happier with the suggestion - it seems a compromise and one that keeps an eye on your health. Good luck and keep updating. Jo x

• Posted

Hi jo,Should of asked,but I've had a lot on my mind.

How are you doing,are you picking up a bit now,I hope so.

i suppose they put you on statins.  My GP did say we always put older people on statins,I said why because we're old,then he went into how our body works,gobble di do!!!  I have a friend who's 78yrs old she's never had a cholesterol test,and she's on statins ,the mind boggles.

Enough said you get well soon.

• Posted

Yep. Was put on statins in hospital whilst receiving heart attack care. No asking; they just did it. And now, I'm due for a scan on my liver because the GP surgery didn't check me after '1-2 weeks' as requested by the discharging hospital because I'm on stressful ace inhibitor medications  etc etc and other risks to my liver / organs.

After pressing my surgery to tell me whether I should be tested ( as per discharge advice notes!! - and by now it was 7 whole weeks since starting statins), the surgery has said 'there are abnormal enzymes showing in the liver on the blood test results' and I now need a liver scan. What can I say ......................??? Except be very much on the ball as to what you are being prescribed and what the GP surgery's responsibilities are towards the effects on your body because ultimately, its the body owner who bears the consequences of good / bad / indifferent care.   

• Posted

Hi jo, I'll just give you a glimps into my GPs care.

My Rhuematoid Athritis consultant told me have a blood test every 3mths,because my drugs are quite toxic.

My Endocologist said have a blood test every 6mths before you see me.

I have Osteoperosis and I have an injection every 6mths so I have a blood test before I see her.

Cholestrol blood test every 3mths at the moment.

Now then when I saw my GP last week,he said "you have a lot of tests don't you" the mind really boggles.     I only had an Underactive thyroid due to a tablet they gave me when I had my heart attack.

Ive been on at least 2drugs for about8-9yrs that don't do nothing but I'm struggling to get off.

Due to Stomack problems I take 1 5mg Diazapam to keep my anxiety down because of severe pain every day,it just relaxes me after tea a bit,and that they want to take off me.

And then they wonder why I question everything. I couldn't agree with you more,it's my health there playing about with. 

My hubby has just found out he has prostate cancer (no worries it's under control) but he's the same,the problems we've had with him you'd never believe.   WOW don't I rant on,but it just makes me so annoyed.

You take care jo,look after yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.