High cholesterol and hrt

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies. Just had the results of a blood test. All ok except for high cholesterol. Doc not happy because i am on hrt and she has put me on Statins. Never taken them before, anyone here taken them and can advise on side effects etc.,

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

No I haven't but use pro active butter to keep my cholesterol level down my doctor did take my b pressure before giving me hrt
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, thanks for your reply. My blood pressure is fine. My GP said she calculated my risk of a heart attack in 10 years as a 14.4 risk (apparantly it should be around 10% or less) she is worried that because she says HRT increases the risk of heat attack/stroke anyway so having high cholesterol in the mix is not good. I was not about to discuss the new NICE guidelines with her (no point) as she has already told me she is not a fan of HRT (lets see how she feels when she is our age) ... I will get some Benecol butter and I also believe porridge is good for lowering cholesterol.. 
    • Posted

Yes it is I have porridge most mornings yes she probably isn't our age some doctors are better than others
    • Posted

I wouldn't mind some diet tips I go to slimming world but its not easy as hrt puts weight on
  • Posted

I would post your question on the statins forum pat. You'll get much more response.
  • Posted

Good thinking Matron! :-)
  • Posted

From what I've read recently, cholesterol increases after menopause, as your oestrogen decreases.  Oestrogen in HRT apparantly helps reduce your cholesterol levels - lowers the "bad" cholesterol and increases the "good" levels..  Google oestrogen and HRT for more information.  There's a good article "Menopause and your heart" on the Hysterectomy Association website (.org .UK) - I'd put the link in but it would probably be moderated out but a search should find it.
    • Posted

That evidence is contradictory at the moment marie and doctors are being advised not to prescribe HRT in the hope that it will reduce cholesterol 
    • Posted

Probably not a good idea to prescribe HRT simply to try to reduce cholestrol - but having high cholestrol doesn't seem to be a valid reason not to prescribe HRT for menopausal symptoms.  I'm not sure why some GPs are so against it.

Personally speaking, I'm happy to take HRT and have weighed up all the potential risks and benefits.  I'm not keen on the current trend to push statins for over 50s, regardless.  My hubby has aleady refused them from his GP.  I'm fortunate enough to have neither high blood pressure or cholestrol, so haven't been offered them.

• Posted

GP's aren't against prescribing HRT for women with high cholesterol. They take other factors into consideration as well. Blood pressure, weight to name a few. Advice is given on diet as it is with any patient with a raised cholesterol. 
  • Posted

That's good then maria hrt has some uses then ive registered with the hysterectomy association but difficult to join in this forum is easier
  • Posted

Is your cholesterol hereditary ? Mine is and I have controlled it for the past 4 years with diet and exercises.I have been in perimenopause for about 20 months now.I had a recent blood test to check my thyroid levels (also hereditary ) ,and my cholesterol has started to rise .The doctor told me that cholesterol rises in women as the get to menopause age .I have to have another test in six months ,if it has increased again then discuss if I need statins .
  • Posted

No my cholesterol is not hereditary but I have to watch my weight and exercise as my father had diabetes
  • Posted

I was also on medication for cholesterol but decided to change my diet and I have lost over 3 stone. My cholesterol level is now good and my gp is happy for me to remain on hrt. I feel much healthier.
    • Posted

Yes, well done! May I ask what your diet consisted of? I am going the diet wsy too and tips would be handy :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.