High cholesterol and simvastatin

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there,

A few years ago I had a blood test for high cholesterol and it came back very high at 11 and the doctor put me on atorvastatin and I found these to mess with my head and didn't feel to good on them,so I stopped them after a week but continued to improve my diet and signed up to a gym and got it down to 6 at the next blood test and the doctor was surprised and let me carry on as I was.

Anyway fast forward to now and I got invited to a well man clinic because I am over 40 and my cholesterol has gone up to 7.5 overall and the doctor wants to put me on simvastatin even though I said I don't want stations.

Anyway my question is what would you people do ,would you take the statins and see how things goes or would you find a different alternative.

Cheers

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I would say manage your cholesterol through diet. Six months after suffering from side effects of taking Atorvastatin, I am still not right. My main problem has been fatigue and exertion fatigue and although I have improved slightly, I feel it’s going to be a long road until I reach my former levels of activity without feeling tired. Having said all this, side effects affect only 12% of those taking statins, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons. You may well be one of the 88% who experience no problems but if you are one of the unlucky ones, you will wish you had refused.
  • Posted

As I said I took atorvastatin for a week and it didn't agree with me and the doctor I saw was pretty useless and was asking me what I wanted to do and it just felt she didn't care and was handing them out like smarties.

Anyway I have slept on it and because I am starting a new job in a week's time I can't be dealing with side effects lol,I am going to improve my diet even more and start taking plant sterols and see what happens next year.

Cheers

• Posted

I am one who has tried several alternatives over the years as I am statin intolerant. My observations are:

People who are statin intolerant do suffer debilitating fatigue and other issues with optimum mental functioning. 

I tried several change of salts. They did not work for me.Try that first.

The side effects outweighed the possibility of a longer life and I finally decided to lead a healthier life NOW and live with the risks. I gave up statins and have a much better quality of life. Must share that it took me a long time to come back to normal.

Physical activity and diet control, along with inclusion of health foods like flaxseed helps.

• Posted

The doctor can only advise and can't force you to take them. As you had problems with them previously then I have grave doubts that you should take them again, I was on Atoravastatin for two weeks and in that time they turned me into one of the living dead, two years on and I still haven't recovered from their effects. I've tried to manage my cholesterol by diet and exercise but it seems that the more I improve my diet the more my cholesterol goes up so no idea what the answer is. Just think carefully before you agree to take them again.

• Posted

If your high cholesterol isn't an hereditary problem and you can reduce your levels with diet and not medication then i suppose that's great. It's whats happening inside your arteries that is the problem. My doctor warned me my cholesterol was high at 6.5 and i tried reducing it with a vegan diet but the levels kept rising. I developed angina and the inevitable happened (stent) and statins. I find CQ10 a great help with side affects of atorvastatins. Good luck my friend just keep having regular blood tests for cholesterol levels and watch out for the tell-tale chest pains of angina. If you want to go the whole hog then ask for an appointment to see a cardiologist, these guys know their onions and he might suggest a angiogram, not pleasant but at least you'll know once and for all about whats happening in your heart. 

• Posted

Well that's the thing I should of mentioned that my mum and dad did have high cholesterol I think my dad's was bad in the end .

So that what's make me think about it but as I said I managed to get my down from 11 to 6 the last time I had the test without statins.

• Posted

I feel for you Nutbox - i'm a runner of 40 years and thought i was fit but the cholesterol just kept creeping up. I refused statins and was in denial i had a problem until the Angina started three years ago. Why don't you ask to see a cardiologist and get it sorted. The general consensus on many forums is that statins are evil and i agree they make you feel crap sometimes. For me because it was hereditary i had no choice lets hope for you its not and you can bring your cholesterol down with diet. It was a long lonely road waiting for the ambulance and journey to the hospital for stent procedure. I wish you well.   

• Posted

Hi

I was put on Amlodipine and Astorvastatin in 2013, My ankles swelled up to the same size as the top of my legs and them a very nasty skin rash appeared. To cut a long story short, I am on 50mg of Losartan for blood pressure, but Amlodipine and Astorvastatin  combination has left me with calf mussel damage. I have been offered 3 or 4 different statins, but when I take them they they make my  calf mussels even weaker.

My Cholesterol is now within limits through diet and excise, but my GP keeps wanting me to take them, but I am refusing at the moment.   

• Posted

Does anybody have experience with simvastatin at all
    • Posted

Yes I have. Blooming awful stuff, caused me severe problems with my knees. My medical record now shows I am allergic to it as I discovered when I was in hospital a couple of years ago and asked what the red wristband was that I had to wear at all times.

GP changed me to atorvastatin and to be honest have had no problems at all with that.

I may be wrong but certainly in the UK I think it is related to cost, simvastatin is cheap, atorvastatin is not

• Posted

Yes bad cramps in my legs,. I have just been offered Rosuvastatin, 5 mg so far haven't taken it

• Posted

I was on Atorvastatin and the cardiologist put me on Rosuvastatin, 5 mg because i complained of pains in my muscles. So far so good but i still take CQ10. Good luck if you do take the plunge. 
  • Posted

Ok cool ,they want to put me on 20mg simvastatin straight away .

There seems to be no positive to taking any statins everything I have read has been bad experiences and makes me wonder what is the point.

• Posted

Hi, I've noticed I've been feeling low, for a long time, now I've got depression and anxiety, I've forgotten to take my statins for two nights now and I've began to feel better? Anyone else experience this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.