High Cholesterol - Can't take Statins

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a male of 56 yrs. Four stents in cardiac arteries 15 months ago. Familial hypercholesterolemia. Last Cholesterol test 7.4 after a month off statins.

I can't tolerate the statins. I get headaches and muscle/joint pain.

Since stopping the last statin I feel good physically but advice (BHF) is that I need to do something to reduce levels. I believe it should be 4 or less.

I can see that doctors start with the cheapest drugs and work up from there. Statins are now excluded - what are the realistic options for cholesterol control without statins.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm a 65 year old female and also have Familial Hypercholesterolemia, and neither can I tolerate statins. So if anyone can suggest any options, I'd also be very grateful. 

I've simply stopped taking statins because to be frank, I would rather take me chances and pop me clogs whilst I'm active and happy, than hobble about like an 85 year old for the rest of me life.

(Not to mention the havoc they cause my hair!)

• Posted

Hi Josephine

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

I would rather have 5 more years of feeling ok than twenty years of feeling like a 90 year old.

• Posted

Hi Paul

For my statin pain I eat peanut butter.It does work maybe not for everyone but

I have reduced my cholesterol right done with Crestor.

I use a suger and salt free variety peanut butter(no joke)

• Posted

Hi David

What is the thinking behind peanut butter. I would think it is high in fat?

Do you take a regular amount daily?

• Posted

hello Paul

Peanuts are a plant fat so,no, not the animal fat we hear of.

I take 1 full teaspoon  twiice a day,if I slack off the pains return,

usually behind the knees and calves.

I googled it with muscle pain and found out body builders use it 

for their muscle aches too.My original find was a round of golf one day

during which I was smashing the ball so well and felt so god,.then I realized I had eaten peanut butter for breakfast.

Must understand I have been thru a by-pass and lean towards the theory that statins prebent inflammation.

• Posted

HI paul, I have very high colestorol readings have tried most of the statins but cannot tolerate them either . In fact they made me feel like I had been lin a car crash all my muscles,joints and bones ached I felt terrible,  I am left now with the after effects. I would never take them again, they  in my opinion have ruined my health.  I was fit and well before I took them... my brother has the same effects and cant tolorate them either! I am taking Q10 and other suppliments, due to go to a Lipid clinic soon to see about famillial H , I am so angry that this has happened ! 
    • Posted

Hi Dingle Dell

Apologies for slow response.

I am sorry you are struggling with Statins, I know how thoroughly miserable it can be.

I spoke to my GP and I am now taking Ezetrol 10mg (not a statin) and feel absolutely great. I am due to have another blood test shortly. The expectation is that my levels will still be a little high so either a low dose statin or a visit to the lipid clinic will be next.

Statins are very cheap and very effective statistically which is good for the NHS but a non-starter for those of us who can't tolerate them. I think it is a case of persevering until the right combination of drugs and diet/lifestyle give you what you want, a pain free and fulfilliing life.

Keep plugging away, the right combination must be out there.

All the best.

Paul

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi all

An update to my original post of about a year ago

I finally got to see a 'lipid doctor', and she is a star!

She put me on Rosuvastatin at the (micro) dose of half a 5mg tablet every third day and folic acid 5mg/day. I don't know what the folic acid is doing, I'm not expecting to get pregnant any time soon... Over time we have increased the Rosuvastatin to half a tablet per day as side-effects are non-existent. I also take Ezetimibe 10mg/day and Aspirin 75mg/day.

In July of this year (2017) my cholesterol was 7.6 and LDL 5.8.

In October my cholesterol was 5.2 and LDL 3.3.

The important thing here is that I feel fantastic, no muscle pain and no significant headaches. I have been inspired to lose some weight too and have shed 5lbs in under a month which also feels good!

The take-home message is that not everyone tolerates big doses of statins but that slowly ramping up the right statin can work, particularly in league with Ezetimibe and folic acid. If you can't tolerate statins don't bury your head in the sand - demand (nicely of course) an appointment at your local lipid clinic. These good people live and breath biochemistry - they can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.