high cholesterol caused by hypoactive thyroid ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have never heard of such a thing, has anyone else ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's listed repeatedly in symptoms of hypothyroid. My cholesterol had jumped quite a bit in one year and that was one of the things I found while trying to find out how to lower it naturally.

YES......... when my doctor got me back in normal range with my thyroid, my cholesterol dropped to normal.

Do a web search for high cholesterol hypothyroid and you'll find loads of studies.

Diane

• Posted

I found spike in my cholesterol to be better indicators of thyroid problems than the actual thyroid tests. However, this may work for me because I do eat a fairly low far diet and had low cholesterol for many years. I have observed this relationship in my blood work over several decades. And, thyroid and cholesterol have been the only red flags in my bloodwork. While TSH levels can often veer towards normal as thyroid disease progresses, cholesterol levels will continue to rise with the advancement of hypothyroid disease. With the use of T3 and T4 testing, these will often drop as cholesterol increases, showing the relationship between hypothyroid disease and cholesterol.

As my thyroid disease progressed, my cholesterol levels also increased. The relationship is obvious, as even from a young age, I can see that my normally low cholesterol, spiked with spikes in TSH. When I felt the worst thyroid symptoms while on synthetic meds, my cholesterol levels were at their highest. My conclusion is that synthetic thyroid meds worsen thyroid disease (thyroid disease is a known listed side effect of synthetic meds). The advancement of hypothyroid disease can cause high cholesterol. Its possible that thyroid medications can cause high cholesterol.

I consider cholesterol levels to be a great indication of thyroid health over the years. No point in treating the high cholesterol when thyroid levels seem to trigger it.

Looks likes there's a ton of information about this online now. Looks like levothyroxin doesn't always lower cholesterol levels. Yet another indication that levothyroxin does not fully alleviate thyroid symptoms.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply very interesting read . I have started to research on the net and found a lot of information I still haven't started the statins yet as want to do more research I also have a very low fat diet and watch what I eat .

I was only diagnosed in 2016 with under active thyroid and towards the end of that year my cloestral has been going up and now the Dr says statins are the best way forward due to family history or heart problems . I have to go back in 3 months for bloods but Il keep researching before I decide .

Thank you

J

• Posted

Hi StelAnd, I gave up trying to get any sort of real solution from the docs.

I take essential amino acid supplements. They seem to do the trick. I figure, I have pretty advanced thyroid disease, so if it works for me, it should work for other people.

My mother has had her thyroid removed. She uses amino acids and ThyroGold.

I don't bother worrying about the cholesterol.

• Posted

yes continually and i am experiencing exactly that problem!

• Posted

Yes, hormone replacement therapy is really best used as a temporary regimin. As with any hormone replacement, prolonged used of thyroxin will suppress natural thyroxin production, further advancing hypothyroid disease.

The use of synthetic hormones, suppresses natural production, however, synthetic hormones do mot gave the same biological activity, do you can wind up worse off than without medication.

• Posted

yes, they seem to go hand in hand. I take both levothyroxine and statins

• Posted

Thank you for replying are you ok on statins as the Dr said if I get any muscle pain or problems I have to go back and that is one of the reason I don't want to start statins as it's hard enough dealing with under active thyroid .

Thank you

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.