High cholesterol + sign of liver damage. Really freaking out. Plz plz help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Can someone please help me, I'm really freaking out after looking at the results of my complete body checkup test.

It shows high cholesterol levels accompanied with abnormal functioning liver. Don't know if liver damage resulted in high cholesterol or high cholesterol resulted in liver damage.

Liver test results:

Aspartate Aminotransferase - 55

Alanine amino Transferase - 97

Globulin - 2.3

Lipid test results:

Cholesterol total - 218

Cholesterol HDL - 45

Cholesterol LDL - 151

Non HDL Cholesterol - 173

Cholesterol ratio - 4.8

Apart from this there is Vitamin D deficiency and Complete Blood Count Test shows numerous parameters that are out of line..

I'm thinking of taking up a Keto Diet for reducing the cholesterol but not sure if that would damage Liver even further.

Basically I need help in figuring out how bad is my situation and the damage done to the liver could be reversed or not and should I go for keto diet or not.

Please anyone who has any info please do share as I will not be able to go to the doctor for next 40-50 days. Plz plz help

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am not a professional but do know that elevated ALT and AST are a fairly common result on routine blood work and do not necessarily mean liver damage although for some reason the internet often suggests otherwise.  My understanding is that only about one in ten people with elevations in these numbers on their blood tests actually have anything wrong with their livers, so I wouldn't worry very much before the dr visit.  Cholesterol can easily be controlled by medication -- both my husband and my mom had very high cholesterol that is now controlled by medication.  I hope you won't continue to worry about it too much before you see your dr again and am sorry you have to wait so long.

• Posted

Thanks for your help. That is really reliving. I have started intense aerobic and a little weight training. I hope doctor wouldn't find something serious. Can i take keto diet as my gym coach was suggesting to go for it. But I'm not sure if that would put extra burden on my liver.

Thanks again

• Posted

Had you started the weight training and intense aerobic exercise before you had your blood test? If so, you might want to google weight lifting, intensie aerobic exercise, and liver function tests -- exercise can raise ALT and AST.  That is what happened to me and is why my ALT and AST are elevated -- I exercise intensely every day.  Since I am not a professional, I do not know about the diet.
    • Posted

Unfortunately no. I started the training after I got my results. So elevated ALT AST shows true results. But a big thanks to you for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.