High Cortisol Levels

Posted , 7 users are following.

Evening all.

Im looking for some advice more than anything. for about 18months ive been having issues where i keep experiencing symptoms such as feeling very tired, weak, lethargic, sickness, shakes, headaches and palpitations.

Anyway I was referred to ab endocrinologist and was asked to take a short synacthen test. This came back as abnormal with a result of 94...

After speaking to the endocrinologist consultant she has said that i seem to be experiencing these symptoms due to High Cortisol levels. However not high enough

to be anything serious.

She hasnt prescribed me anything and hasnt really told me anything that will help.

The only advice she could give me was to try some breathing exercises and also try taking up yoga. - also take up swimming.

She wanted to discharge me and i asked her not to so ive got a telephone appointment in two months.

anyway do you think the advice given to me is adequate? is there any supplements out there that could help me? is there any advice you could give me as i do experience most of these symptoms most days.

Thanks

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Do be ultra careful about taking arbitrary supplements as they could make your situation much worse. Search google news for "green tea" and liver problems. We had someone on this forum a couple of years back who was really suffering until his doc realised that he was overdosing on vitamin pill.

Synachthen test just checks whether your adrenals are producing cortisol in response to ACT Hormone from your pituitary. It makes sense to have it if you have low cortisol, I don't understand why you would have it to investigate high cortisol? You might get more feedback from the Cushings forum.

• Posted

No, I would not be happy with the doctor's advice...? Have you been tested for hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism? Are you having medication for hypothyroidism? Taking your basal temp: putting the thermometer under your armpit for 3 minutes, before getting up in the morning for three days and write the average, will tell you if you are hypothyroid. The temp, has to be 98.6. (I take my early morning temp now and again to see if the medication I take for my Hashimoto's is working). The lower you are, the more hypothyroid you are (or Hashimoto's). The symptoms are similar. I practice mindful breading which is very good for it does not solve adrenal/thyroid problems. It is a support.

• Posted

These might be small things at first sight, but a difference with me: Check how your thyroid level is. Avoid sugar, alcohol and caffeine.

• Posted

hmmm. one such supplement I know that helps with adrenal problems is Vitality by EU Natural. It contains natural herb extracts such as Holy Basil and Rhodiola, which have been proven to be quite effective in providing adrenal support and balancing cortisol levels.

I hope this has been some help.

• Posted

Proven how/where/when/by whom?

These supplements have a placebo effect which does not last unless the condition was psychosomatic. If you have an adrenal tumour or a pituitary tumour, they are worse than useless because they give you a false sense of security and a reason to put off the evil day when you actually have to do something real-world about it. It may by then be too late, as Steve Jobs found out.

• Posted

I'm with Roddy & Cool_Catalan.

You need answers, which often require testing your hormones.

Tucking into supplements is not the answer.

Other than the bleeding obvious: you have a medical condition that demands investigation,

who knows if the supplements may make things worse.

Move to a more experienced endocrinologist.

• Posted

It is helpful to read everybody's experience and advise.

its interesting that you say about over dosing on vitamins. it is so hard to know if any of them actually work or not.

I am experiencing awful symptoms and it seemed to be better in the evening but it seems to be bad now during the evening too and intermittently throughout the day.

I am currently feeling very shakey, weak, heart palpitations, I feel like my blood pressure is high too. I also feel nausea mainly in the mornings, gagging, headaches, flushed and hot in face and racing thoughts.

I am seeing a endocrinoligist as my cortisol is high but he doesnt think I have cushing syndrome.

I would be so grateful if anyone has any advise about finding an answer to the really weird and complexed feelings.

thank-you

• Posted

One thing comes to mind.

1. If your endocrinologist says you don't have cushings, what does he say you have?
      2. Has he performed other tests on you?

If he has not provided an alternative diagnosis and not performed further tests, consider moving to another endocrinologist, ideally one in a large hospital, as these persons have (in general) good experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.