High esr, high anti ccp - seeing the rheumatologist next week - what questions should I ask?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok - its looking a little likely that I have RA but appreciate its hard to tell for sure. Morning stiffness, pain in joints which moves daily (sometimes hourly) - feet and hands mainly, knees too, and occasional hip, collarbone and yesterday jaw just for a change.

I have raised esr and just found out today that my anti ccp is over 300.

Have an appointment next monday at the rheumatology dept - what questions should I ask them, what information should I take with me? Forward is forarmed and all that kind of thing.

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,

well, it's hard to tell you what questions to ask. But one piece of advice is to sit down with a piece of paper and a pen and write down absolutely everything that comes into your head that you don't already know about RA.  I think you really have to put your trust in your consultant but by all means ask questions about anything you don't understand. RA is initially difficult to diagnose but once you have the diagnosis then things will start to improve.  It won't be quick, but you will get there in the end. RA is different for everyone and your medication will have to be tailored to you. 

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

• Posted

I agree medication is individual. 

Great info. And support.

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

The best thing u can do is ask for support. What is it u can do to better understand RA. Are there any programs available in UR area thru the hospitals etc. be a good listener then ask the questions u feel is important. Rheumy a r specials and understand all to well how devastation this disease is. Many recommend PT AND MEDS .

Its best to be informed on RA meds from DEMARDS to BIO meds like Humira & Stelera and MTX. 

U will most likely start out on a starter med then if it has worked UR lucky. Usually it takes time to find relief from the many meds available.

Cheers

HOPEconfused

• Posted

Take another person and get them to take notes. That frees you up to ask questions as things come up, which are sometimes hard to remember afterwards
    • Posted

Oh yes I always bring my partner he's my memory..

great suggestion..

cheesygrin

• Posted

I think it's important to establish a collaborative relationship with your rheumatologist. It's  like a marriage - you're going to be together for a long time to come. Make it clear to the doctor that you expect to participate in treatment decisions. You'll do your part to learn about the disease and treatment options.

Knowledge is POWER!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.