High faecal calprotectin but no Crohns Disease or Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello Everybody

Ive just had results from Colonoscopy with Biopsies and MRI investigations into Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis following two, high faecal calprotectin results and everything seems fine, no sign of either present within me.

Is it really possible to have positive calprotectin results yet not have an IBD? If so, what else could have caused the high positive calprotectin results?

I know that false positive results can occur, however I’ve not had a stomach bug, gastroenteroitis, taking NSAIDs or subject to any of the other reasons that can give false positive results, so I’m rather confused as to what else it could be.

Any thoughts, views and advice on this would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Sadly it's not uncommon for such journeys to be had before later having clearer signs of IBD. I've been in the same boat but got to a point of Crohn's diagnosis eventually having been around the block a few times over a 4 year period. That's not to say there's not hope.

What was the calpro result both times? What symptoms are you experiencing? Did anything happen in your life that may have started things off? For me it was food poisoning and probably work stress.

Matt

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Matt, I really appreciate it.

My calprotectin results were >1400 and >300, with those high results I was expecting to see something during my last colonoscopy a few months ago. Symptoms at the moment are bloating, constipation, random abdominal and chest pains, abdominal churning and gurgling, shortness of breath and bouts of feeling a bit faint. My symptoms aren't actually that bad in terms of severity, more annoying and constant than debilitating. Does this sound like Crohn's Disease to you? To add I've been having food intolerance tests done in recent weeks, which revealed a number of intolerances, and then proceeding to eliminate these foods, I'm actually feeling significantly better. I was also told by a health professional that food intolerances do in fact cause gut inflammation.

Everything kicked off for me with worth stress, I was being physically and mentally worked so hard I literally bust a gut, which initially caused back pain and was misdiagnosed as a popped disc, but in fact I believe was now stomach ulcers. I went on like this for a couple of months, trying to do some physiotherapy thinking it was a popped disc, but couldn't because of the pain. In the end the doctor prescribed me Naproxen for the pain to allow the physio to get to work, which within a day led to immense stomach pain, to the point where my stomach felt like it was being torn to shreds, it was a scary time. I saw another doctor who immediately took me off Naproxen, and put me on Omeprazole, and proceeded to tell me that being prescribed Naproxen without stomach protection and having stomach ulcers was "a recipe for disaster". I've never felt right since and that was 3 years ago now.

There is always hope I guess Matt, but hope feel quite lacking at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.