High Ferritin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and joined in an effort to get some info regarding my high ferritin. Recent blood work shows my ferritin level is at 379 ug/L however nothing else was flagged or out of the ordinary. Should I be concerned as its only 79 ug/L over? From what I read, unfortunately ppl have much higher levels and seem to be ok.....any insight is extremely appreciated! Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you eat a lot of red meats, cereal, take iron supplements or other high iron foods? I would start there. I would also request getting a genetics test to see the level of hemochromatosis you may have. My levels month ago was 3078. After having 2 phlebotomies im at 2600 in which i've had 2 since. i had the test and found i have hereditary hemochromatosis which means i will always have this problem, but can manage it through diet and routine phlebs. Your levels are high but not extreme. Talk to a hematologist. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi deb,

Thank you for your reply. I don't eat a lot of red meat nor do I eat cereal. However I did take vitamin C daily until I learned of this concern. I eat very healthy as I've been an amateur bodybuilder for a number of years. I'm trying to "connect some dots" now as I've had lower abdomen discomfort for almost a year but didnt think much of it. Maybe it could be related to the high ferritin? Anyway, thanks again for your reply and all they best on your journey!

• Posted

if you're eating healthy, leafy greens are very bad for you as well. Pumpkin seeds, kidney beans, there is a list. I hope you get it figured out, i wish i had at that early stage.

• Posted

Just a small update.......

I went for an abdominal ultrasound today, awaiting my results. The rec simply said "high ferritin?fatty liver" I hope to get the results in a few days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.