High Ferritin but low Iron Serum?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm struggling to make sense of some blood results whereby I have high Ferritin levels with low Iron at the same time. Everything I read online suggests high Ferritin is linked to high Iron. The Doctor has suggested Iron supplementation but I just want to try and understand these results. My results were:

Serum Ferritin 500 microg/L (normal 20-300)

Serum Iron 11.4 micromol/L (normal 14 - 31)

I have noticed my Ferritin has been rising too over the 3 monthly blood tests I have been doing.

Do these results make sense to anyone?

TIA for any pointers.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am also suffering from same problem of high ferritin and low iron. I am having many symptoms related to this. Do you have any symptoms? I have taken iron supplements in the past. It will increase serum iron for short period but then again serum iron will fell down. Don't knew what to do. No answers from doctor also.

• Posted

I had the same issue. I had to start eating very strictly. mostly fruit and veggies because my body was inflamed and with inflammation the stored iron doesn't get circulated. took about a month and a half of eating that way and it was fixed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.