High ferritin with low serum iron

Posted , 5 users are following.

My ferritin is high at 550 but serum iron is low at 40 range( 65-170). So I am having iron deficiency with iron overload also. How to solve this problem? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't worry about your serum iron unless you're anaemic as well.

Has anyone ordered you total iron binding capacity then using that and your serum iron the transferring saturation can be calculated (over 50% indicates hereditary haemochromotosis).

Are you in a location/position to have genetic testing done?

With those levels, I'd be surprised if you didn't have haemochromotosis. If you have, then you're in the perfect position as you've caught it early before ferritin gets into triple figures.

• Posted

My transferrin saturation is low at 10.

I think my case is complex as my ferritin is high and serum iron low. I have not tested as there is no genetic testing in my state.

• Posted

Sometimes the ferritin can shoot up with inflamation somewhere else it is not just GH that can raise it. I am glad you are being checked out. Half way there with diagnosis. Good luck and try to relax about it the waiting is sometimes the most stressful time as nothing is quick.
    • Posted

Yes. What I read on other sites seems like I have anemia of chronic inflammation in which ferritin is high.

Although I have done all test and no inflammation can be found out. Now I am confused what to do.

• Posted

Inflammation can be as little as a bad tooth a banged toe or even  sinusitis, As long as they have checked that the big stuff is doing okay ... heart lungs liver etc ... you hopefully will get sorted out soon.  Try and keep yourself calm; breathing techniques like in yoga or meditation, eat a balanced diet, cut sugar out altogether as it is inflammation inducing in its self. Those things should balance you lowering stress levels that can raise inflammation even higher.  They may sound simple but the above things are the bits that you can effect giving doctors a clear route to finding the problem and sorting it. Stress and diet muddy the waters so the doctors can't get a clear picture. I do hope you begin to recover soon, take care. 

• Posted

Your test results do not indicate haemochromatosis.

A fatty liver, and/or alcohol increases ferritin without having haemochromatosis, and it does not show up by blood test.  You have to have an ultra sound at least for that.  As Ellen says, eliminate sugars and starchy carbohydrates which become sugars in your body. These cause fatty liver and a high ferritin.

Just a cold at the time of your blood test can cause high ferritin too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.