High fibre diet to avoid constipation bu which foods might aggravate all 3 condtions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I have IBS, Diverticulosis and internal haemerroids, the last two found in April after a colonoscopy, following blood in stools after a period of constipation.  The surgeon who did the scope said the bleeding was from either the DD or the Haemerroids.  Maybe I should have had them banded.  I am having a stressful time at the moment and am having an upper endoscopy next week.  They think I could have either stomach or oesophagus  dysmobility.  Naturally I am worried and as an anxietysufferer it is not helping.  My question is about which foods to try and avoid.  I know it varies from person to person but I scared of getting constipation again.  At the moment I take fybogel/mebeverine in the morning before breakfast.  I have a few days with good soft bowel movements and no bleeding followed by a few days of still easy to pass stools but which are lumpy (sorry to be graffic) and sometimes have some blood in them.  I cannot seem to work out what I am doing wrong.  I know I need to keep to a high fibre diet but are there any what would be considered good fibre foods which might causes problems.  Also how would you know would it be the same day or a couple of days later.  Some of the things I would like advice on is wholemeal bread how much should you eat in an y one day.  What about things like berries and beans like kidney etc.  I know that I am fine with porridge skimmed milk and veg like carrots, squash etc.  I try to drink plenty of water not too cold and some tea, apple juice once  a day. What about treats, not looking forward to Christmas as going to family for Christmas Dinner.  Before I was diagnosed with the IBS there was very little I could not eat with only odd flares up mainy due to constipation.  I have been suffering from bad bloating and back pain for the last 2 months or so hence the scope next week.  My gp had put me on ranitidine for some mild indigestion like symptoms, not  heartburn.  I have finished the course and the bloating is much better I think the drugs caused it.  I know from the past that I can't take ppi's as they cause bloating and stomach cramps.  I believe some IBS patients have found this also.  I wish gps would not hand them out so easily especially if they know you have bowel issues.  If anyone out there can tell me what they find works for them so maybe I can see if there is any pattern.  Thanks for reading this.  ps I should add I get some odd pains low down left hand side and bloating but I had these with the IBS as well.  I did go to A and E a few weeks ago as I had a awful knotting cramp on  the left hand side higher up not down below which did not seem to want to go.  I felt ok and the blood tests showed no inflammation etc.  I was examined given painkillers and buscopan which seems to start working after a while I was allowed home and told to come back if it got worse.  I was sore for a couple of days but it then went away.  The A and E doctor seems to think it was IBS rather than DD.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I can only answer a couple of things.  2 medium slices from a 400gm loaf, or 1 medium slice from a 600gm loaf is sufficient bread.  You can make a small sandwich or a larger open sandwich.  I personally avoid all gluten/wheat products as they aggravate my bloating and cramps - gluten is well known for that.  Like you I have porridge with skimmed milk, but for variety I mix 30gm porridge with 150gm fat free flavoured or plain yogurt, leave overnight and have cold with fresh fruit.  I personally have no problems with strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, melon, banana, but can't take acidic or citric fruit like lemons, pineapple, raspberries etc.  I restrict my helpings of things like kidney or broad beans - the skins I find can aggravate, but butterbeans and baked beans have softer skins and I love runner beans.  I have Fybogel daily and Mebeverine when I need it.

Xmas - difficult.  I tend to keep it simple - turkey, carrots, sprouts, plain potato or just one roast, gravy - and keep the portions small.  I would leave out the stuffing (gluten), cranberries (acid), sausage (gluten), bacon, or just have a tiny taster.  But that's me and my eating protocol.  If it is family I'm sure they would understand if you said you wanted to be careful as you did not want to upset/aggravate your tummy and spoil things for anyone.  It sounds terrible to suggest not having the pies, puddings, booze, sweets.  Perhaps just have a tiny taster in advance and see if anything triggers a reaction.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hello How are you keeping. Thank you for your reply.  Hope you haven't had any flares up lately.  As always thanks for your helpful advice.  I have been keeping a food diary but am probably not as strict as you. As I mentioned to Susan never sure if I should be looking for a reaction on the same day as a

possible trigger food has been eaten or how stools are in a couple of days.  

We will be having our Christmas Dinner later in the day and there will be a lot of us including my Grand Daughters and their cousins so it will be noisy and busy but lovely.  I think I should be ok with the actual dinner just make sure I have a smallish dinner.  I only usually have one small glass of wine so that should be ok.  My gp did  a gluten intolerance test which was negative but I know that does not automatically mean you do well with Bread etc so will try and reduce my 3 large slices  a day and see if that helps. I hope that you will have a lovely Christmas and I wish you all the best for 2018,

Carol

• Posted

Many thanks for your good wishes - I'm doing OK at present.  Transit through the system can be from 8 hours to 48, as I understand.  Red meat I know can take up to 2 days, and I've found that if something is going to upset me it normally happens in 8 - 10 hours.   In fact I've been out to lunch today and had a home made granary bread sandwich, which I haven't had for years and really enjoyed real bread.  So I'll wait and see what happens in the next 12 hours lol!!  I only drink a glass of wine once a year at Christmas, plus I make my own brandy sauce, and neither seem to affect me tummy wise - just make me "happy"!!

• Posted

Let me know how you get on with the bread. I haven't had granary I am afraid the seeds with upset me. I don't drink at all   I would love  a can of fizzy pop   Sue x

• Posted

Well, I have bloating, wind and niggling pain within 6 hours, so it serves me right.  But I DID so enjoy that sandwich  lol!!!  But the morale of the story is - SAY NO to temptation.
    • Posted

No granary bread for me lol x Sue 
  • Posted

You sound so much like me!  I have the diverticulosis (just getting over a diverticulitis attach) and ibs.  Also a LOT of anxiety which started much worse after my attack b/c I worry about what to eat and "what if" I have another attack.  Right now I am still on a low fiber diet - white bread, chicken-turkey-fish, low fiber cereal, carrots, green beans, potatoes etc.  I have not added in any fiber supplement, they tend to make me quite bloated and gassy, and not sure they work that well.  I am finding that a stool softener has helped me a lot when I go a  day without a BM.  Pain on the left side is always questionable as to IBS or diverticulosis.  But I have found with the diverticulosis, it gets much worse and much different than the common IBS.  Anxiety is my worst problem right now to I keep coming up with too many "what ifs'.  It's no fun and somewhat life changing.  I have had two other attacks - the first one ended up in hospital.  Doctor is not concerned since they have been so far apart.  Yes, constipation is the worst, but I find that is very hard to control, as my IBS is all over the place with that - then the next few days real soft stools.  I'm trying to just learn to live with each day at a time.  Prayers for all dealing with any forms of this!

• Posted

Hello Thank you for your reply.  Like you I suffer from anxiety and IBS/DD are no doubt affected by it and sometimes the cause of it.  I think most of my problems are the IBS caused by my long standing anxiety.  I have had a stressful 18 months a house move 200 miles away to be near family.  Still not completely settled.  Various hospital tests for both myself and husband which have sort of put life on hold never mind just dealing with all the normal day to day stuff.  My gp has said that that she thinks the bleeding is from the internal haemmeroids not DD.  The surgeon said the bleeding could be from either.  I think she is basing this on the fact that I have not had diverticulitis and the D were just mentioned as being found on the colonsocopy and the fact that DD usually causes more bleeding.  I really don't know.  When I had the scope the doctor said if I find haemeroids do you want them banded saying most people don't.. Turns out I did have some small internal ones.  I was so relieved that there was nothing sinister that I said no.  Maybe I should go back and have them banded if it is them that are causing it.  I have heard it is not a very nice procedure.  Maybe after Christmas once this upper endoscopy is done I might ask to be referred back but just so sick and tired of hospitals and tests.  Yes I agree with you prayers for all dealing with theses problems.  Have a lovely Christmas and keep well.  Thanks for your input.

• Posted

I agree with falinia. But I am different on a morning I have branflakes porridge doesn't agree with me. Keep a food diary that way you will see what you are eating that is making things worse. I had a bad flare last Christmas because I didn't want to say no to my daughter who had cooked Christmas lunch for us. But I have already told her I will only be having a small amount and I will leave anything I can't eat. I told her so she won't be affended   When I was first diagnosed I came on this site and falinia helped me so much   She has battled this for years.  I also have IBS with DD. I think mostly it's my IBS that kicks off. I hope you get sorted and feel better soon 

• Posted

Hello Susan  I have spoken to you before on this forum.  I hope you have been much better this year with your IBS/DD.  Yes it is a good idea to warn family in advance regarding Christmas lunch.  You mention keeping a food diary and I have been trying to do this.  Not sure though if any reaction to food would be iimmediately or a couple of days later depending on IBS or DD so it is hard to know what causes problems.  Would I go with how my stomach feels or bowel movements.   Breakfast and lunch are ok but main meal of the day I don't want to be cooking one meal for me and one for my husband.   He is type 2 diabetic although he does not care very much about diet I try to make sure he has the right things but if he had his way the only veg he would have would be peas.  He is very set in his ways and drives me mad at times.  None of this helps with the anxiety of course and my back pain.  Anyway I wish you a Merry Christmas and hope you enjoy yourself at your daughters.

• Posted

I am having a rough time at the moment my husband came out of hospital on Friday having had a quadruple bypass so I am trying to look after him my doughter and granddaughter who live with us. As you can imagine my IBS is going crazy. He isn't eating much at the moment so I keep trying to tempt him. I can't eat what he eats so it's a pain   I noticed yogurts and cheese eggs in fact a lot of dairy set me off. So I try to stay clear of them. I hope you feel better soon. Merry Christmas to you and your family x

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your husband.  I hope he will do well.  It must be such a worry for you all.  I hope that the new year brings you less stress and better health and happiness for you and your family.  

Carolx

• Posted

Thank you so much. The problem I have with him at the moment is he doesn't want to eat so I keep trying to tempt him with different foods   It's hard work but we will get there xxsue 

• Posted

Just read through your tome /!!!! and the most important thing is ,,,,, as you know ....  to keep the bowels operating on a daily basis... If I do not   "visit " after my first coffee, I take  5 mlls of LACTULOSE, and normal service soon resumes. It's a gentle laxative, and doesn't taste too bad either. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Yes that is the one thing that really worries me constipation having suffered in the past.  I do find that the fybogel taken once a day in the morning ensure I go every day occasionally twice.  At the moment I am having trouble with lumpy stools again but still going fairly easily every morning.  Am looking at diet to see if I can find a cause but I suspect it is my anxiety causing most of it.  I am due for an upper endoscopy Monday morning am am getting jittery as it is getting near.  Unfortunately I have tried lactulose and although it worked well it gave me the most awful cramps as did movicol.  I think that both of these do work even better than the fybogel but I could not put up with all that cramping which was far worse than the bloating and cramps from my IBS.  I am worried about Monday morning as obviously can't take the fybogel and no water until after the procedure.  Hopefully I will be able to take the fibre drink either lunchtime or evening before eating.  I dread getting constipated and having an attack of diverticulosis as I have not had none before.  You are right the lactulose does not taste too bad but I also find the fybogel which is orange flavoured ok as well although many don't like it.  

• Posted

I think you are taking too big a dose of Lactulose, I once did a doube whammy and did get the most awful gut pain so I stick to my little measuring pot, and never looked  back .In all honesty ,what you eat has very little to do with your rubbish removal ..I tend to graze like a horse,,little and often ,so that the bowels are in constant use ,and there is no time for a gathering .so to speak.. Also sounds as though you are giving your body what it really likes,,,, STRESS.. it affects every department,and organ throughout . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.