high fsh, doc unsure if its menopause at 31 or pituitary problem

Posted , 5 users are following.

im 31 and a basic hormonal test showed fsh of 38, cortisol was high as well. estradiol was normal. i had an irregular period twice thats why i went to the doc..he got concerned because fsh 38 is a menopausal reading but i dont have any typical menopausal symptoms. and my estrogen is normal. the doc said it could be a pituitary gland problem but he finds it extremely unlikely because its super rare...as if menopause at 31 is not rare........

could a high fsh signal a pituitary gland problem? they did some extra hormonal tests but are not out yet. 

i had a simple-not dynamic-mri two years ago which was normal. 

any input would be welcomed as im driving myself crazy from being extremely stressed

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi there love the name it’s my fav.  Your Dr needs to check your hormone Prolactin if it high it can  indicate pituitary issues. The good news is we are all on this forum because we have pituitary issues. It will be a long frustrating journey. The endocrine system is VERY COMPLEX. In your case it could be a simple tweek of a hormone to early to tell. Have you noticed anything else going on do you have thyroid issues are you hypo or hyper?

Talk soon

• Posted

i love cakessmile

i live abroad..and i went back home last months for two weeks of vacations. so, i had these tests..and he told me this week that because i live abroad, he froze my blood to do extra work(wow right?). he didnt say what he was looking for. i should be menopausal with this fsh but im not.

instead...i feel cold all the time, im tired, i sleep hours, i wake up at 1am feeling extemely hungry no matter how much i eat during the day and my skin has become quite dry the last few months and i do have a slight dry vagina even though my flora is normal. i have experienced some nipple leaking the last few years, but my friends told me they do too so i guess its not only prolactin which causes this?

i did have a brain mri about 2 yrs ago when i suddenly lost eye sight from one eye, but it didnt show any tumor. so could it have been missed?

• Posted

If you lost your eyesight from one eye

Then it is definitely a tumor pressing on

The optic chiasm

You may need another mri

• Posted

i lost eyesight for about 5 minutes then it came back.  3 times the last year. and my vision from that eye is quite blurry at times. i always thought it was the computer. 

i dont know why, but i see menopause as much worse than a tumor. when they initially said menopause it took me 5 days to get things together rolleyes

• Posted

You seem to have the symptoms of hypo thyroid are you on thyroid medication? Cold , tired ,dry skin are 3 big symptoms for me. How is your weight? If your thyroid is not working it will stop your period this happened to me. You also have symptoms of a pituitary tumor as well your girlfriends are full of s**t if they say their nipples discharge unless they were thinking when they were pregnant they of course will do it then. Your nipples should not release liquid.  They have to find out why your thyroid not working is it from the pituitary or other reasons. Get your proclactin and your TPO and T4 and T3 done. TPO for Hashimoto and T4 is an indicator of how your thyroid is working.
    • Posted

hi, they checked thyroid levels but were normal. tpo i dont think they checked. the doctor said he is running more tests but he didnt say what he was looking for. he did mention tumor but he wasnt very convinced. i know i shouldnt have...but i googled the symptoms of pituitary tumors and yes it does sound like my symptoms..but i read it causes low fsh. im just so stressed to know whats happening sad 
    • Posted

Make sure they check your prolactin levels. Before I was diagnosed with my pitituary tumor, I was having trouble with my vision, my eyes just hurt and tired. It was because the tumor was growing and hitting the optic area. Once I was put on cabergoline the symptoms and pain went away almost immediately. 
  • Posted

Yes I agree with the other comment, have your dr check your prolactin levels, that's how my doctor figured out what was wrong with me.

• Posted

i just googled it and saw that galactorrhea is a symptom. i have it. not a lot. but i still feel the drip. but it doesnt explain the high fsh. maybe its both menopause and a tumor :s
  • Posted

Well, your doc wants to test you

For Cushing's syndrome or disease

That's why he said it is super rare.

Sometimes it can happen if your taking steroids

Next he will probably test your

Plasma ACTH

If low or normal- it is likely your pituitary

If high - it might be Cushing's syndrome

From your adrenals or Addison's disease

Hope this helps

Try to diagnose just based on blood tests

• Posted

i want to add that sometimes i feel as if liquid is coming out of my nipple. sometimes it does and is visible on my bra. i had a breast exam which didnt reveal anything unusual. 

but my mri was clear. could an adenoma been missed?

• Posted

yeah but i read online that fsh would of been low, and not so high as mine 
    • Posted

I'm just sayiñg , if you really did lose your vision

And all those symptoms

There is most likely a tumor in your pituitary

Or around it

I may be wrong but it sounds

Like a macroadenoma

• Posted

I would have thought that a pituitary adenoma pushing onto the optic nerve(s) would not come and go, Well when it happened to me, I had blurred vision in one eye until after my op. So it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my suspect list. Not impossible but not likely.

• Posted

I don't know but I think it is usually a

pituitary tumor which affects the

optic chiasm

I am just learning about this stuff too

• Posted

Yes, you are absolutely right that a pituitary macro-adenoma [big tumour] grows into the optic chiasm and deviates the optic nerves, causing first loss of peripheral vision [check frown], then blurring [check mad] then blindness [fortunately surgery got there first in my case].

But the reverse ain't necessarily so. A pituitary tumour causes these symptoms but these symptoms don't have to mean a pituitary tumour. There are other more innocent [and unfortunately, also other more sinister] causes of the same symptoms.

• Posted

"Functioning" pituitary tumours can be quite small, nowhere near big enough to affect your eyesight. The job of your pituitary is to send signal hormones to major organs to tell them what to do - for example when to grow and when to stop, when to initiate puberty, when to start lactating (child-birth). The hormone that starts [and maintains] lactation is called prolactin and you shouldn't have any if not a nursing mum. The medics should have tested for this but maybe someone dropped a ball? No harm to ask.

• Posted

Sorry, forgot to say it is a fairly simple blood test.
    • Posted

A user in another forum reported "Galactorrhea", which I looked up on Wikipedia and i see that it is the medical name for unexpected lactation, If you haven't already read it, I suspect you might find it useful? [I didn't know about the thyroid association, for example].

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.