High FSH Level

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 47 and have been experiencing irregular periods for about 5 years. My Gyno ordered an FSH test that came back 53.2, she then ordered an TVUS because I had slight discharge a month prior.  After TVUS, the Dr that was in there during the exam told me everything looked good (e.g ovaries, strip was 4.2) and it looked like I had a follicle or cyst on right ovary. I asked him did this mean I might be having a period and he said I could. I’m so confused!! My FSH is in the post menopause range. My last period was 7-24-2017. I’ve had 4 periods this year. Any one with similar situation? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can understand why you're concerned.  Your strip should be at 4 or lower, but she might be giving you a little lee way.  I had a CT scan that showed a small non-functional cyst in 2015.  My gastroenterologist wasn't worried and neither was the radiologist.  My endocrinologist looked at me and told me shouldn't have enough hormones to stimulate production of any kind of a cyst. I was 66.  But the guys didn't seem worried, so I didn't do anything else.  Let it ride.  

In 2016 diagnosed with endometrial cancer (thank you, too many hormones). Had a hysterectomy staged at 1a. ("Don't worry, remember to wear your seat belt and see me every quarter."wink  Okay, no problem.  One year later I found a fully encapsulated tumor in the muscle of my left abdominal wall.  6 chemos, I'm to have #5 soon, surgery, then radiation.

What I'm saying is if any MD tells you they're "not worried." Well, they have no reason do they?  If someone get's sick, it sure isn't them.  If no one cares enough to find out what's happening, then you should--before you let anyone tell you, "It's nothing." xx    

• Posted

Hi Lynda

Thank you for your response. I’m sorry for your diagnosis but happy it was caught and you're doing well.  I’m not exactly sure what my Drs plan is, I haven’t heard anything. I had the test done last Mon and with the holiday maybe I will hear something this week. Regardless I want a consult because it seems that maybe I’m not post menopause and I’d like to have anothe TVUS down the road to verify if the cyst has changed. The Dr did say it was benign so hoping it is just a simple cyst. Continued good health to you!

• Posted

Hi Lynda!

My Dr called today and she wants to do a uterine biopsy. I’m very lucky to have such a thorough Dr.  Fingers crossed everything goes well 😊 The nurse said TVUS looked normal and my stripe was within the normal range but my Dr is very thorough and doesn’t want to miss anything.

• Posted

Hi......everyone

May I ask what is a cyst, my level is high I haven't seen a period since May of this year.

• Posted

An ovarian cyst is a fluid-filled sac within the ovary. Often they cause no symptoms. Occasionally they may produce bloating, lower abdominal pain, or lower back pain. The majority of cysts are harmless. If the cyst either breaks open or causes twisting of the ovary, it may cause severe pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.