High heels after ORIF?

Posted , 7 users are following.

A silly question, but ... how long was it before you felt ok in heels again? I feel like

I’m going to want hiking boots for the rest of my life. 😂

Also, I’ve been walking a little bit out of my boot. I’m ~4 weeks post op. How long did it take you? What challenges with walking did you not expect?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Haha, I wondered if I'll ever be brave enough. The reason I needed ORIF was a spill in 4 inch heels. Be careful. I'm 19 weeks fall, only been released to walk 5 weeks ago about, the challenge is the pain, ankle weak, and pain in hips from limping. I wore tenny shoes out today with a wrap, it hurt like hell even with a crutch. I'm not there yet. 

• Posted

I am impressed that you can even wear hiking boots now wink I have had multiple issues so my experience is not the same. I had my original surgery 18 months ago and have every complication that you can think of. I miss my heels so much. Right now I am in ugly orthopaedic shoes and a brace until I have my next surgery in October. Good luck getting back in those heels. 

• Posted

I’m only 8 Weeks post op but I can tell you the pain will dictate what you can and can’t do.  Listen to it immediately when you are out of the boot.  If I get lazy at home and walk too much without a boot I pay the price later. The boot is ugly but it is your friend.

I still struggle with steps, and long distances.  I use a scooter to not get too tired, and I sleep without my boots and quite frequently I will bend or twist my ankle in my sleep which wakes me in serious pain. My scar still rubs and gets raw and the swelling never went down

Good luck and take care

• Posted

See, this is what I wonder about — I’ve only had my boot for a few days, but I’ve noticed that I can walk without it ... it surprised me, because I had surgery only four weeks ago, but I haven’t walked very much per my physical therapist. 

I don’t seem to mess it up at night, but I also have a weirdly high pain tolerance so I worry I could be doing something bad to it and not knowing ...

• Posted

Lol... Im just 5 days out from my fall... So Im still in slippers... I can't even imagine wearing heels right now... Or even in the near future! Ouch!!

• Posted

I keep wondering same thing.  I am 3 years - this week - and am still in sneakers with support.   I try walking in heels around the house as I will win this battle.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.