High hemoglobin count.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Blood tests have revealed I have a high haemoglobin count. The doctor didn't seem too concerned and just said I needed to have it tested every 6 months to keep an eye on it.

I wish I'd asked her more questions now but I was with her about another problem and didn't really take in what she was saying.

According to the internet a high hemoglobin count can be a sign of serious diseases.

The only none serious cause seems to be if I lives at a high altitude or smoked - I do neither!

Has anybody else had this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Can you write the how much higher is your haemoglobin?

The haemoglobin rise if youre smoke or live in higher altitude..

For a serios disease there must have some symptoms and others level high. Does your others blood level are normal?

• Posted

Hi Anna. Thanks for replying

. No I don't know what the count was. All the doctor said was that it was high and she will keep an eye on it.  My other blood tests were normal.

• Posted

Being only your hemoglobin is high, and your RBC count and hematocrit are both normal, then I wouldn't worry about it. Your doctor will always read these 3 results together.   If your RBC count and hematocrit were to also rise... then that would be significant.  They both rise or lower, with your hemoglobin. So, your doctor is doing the right thing by testing you again in 6 months to just make sure that your RBC count and hematocrit count do not raise also.  At this point, it's probably just smoking, or another possibilty is that you were dehydrated when you got your blood test.  

• Posted

Thanks SM. I don't smoke.  Maybe I was dehydrated - that wasn't a possibility I knew about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.