High igA in blood and bone density osteoporosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can somebody explain how a high igA level in the blood can affect bone density and  cause ( or at least contribute to) osteoporosis?

I have been diagnosed with O.P. and my endocrinologist attributes it to  a high level of igA found in my blood ( 4.32).She has prescribed Resendronate once a week which I should start shortly.

Although I am an educated  person, I could not understand this link, even in the most general terms.. And , by the way, if somebody has any comment  or personal experience on Risendronate, I'd love to hear.  

Thanks

Ittiandro

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ittiandro,

I just had a Bone density test to determine if I had osteoporosis. I am not a doctor, so I have no idea how an IGA test alone could determine osteoporosis. I am curious to know how. You should ask your doctor to explain this. Best wishes to you!

• Posted

Thanks Brown45840

Unfortunately, I do have osteoporosis because the bone density  scan  ( DXA) has yielded a T-score of -4.3 which is well below the threshold of o.p. ( -2.5) , just about as low as one can get!

It is out of question that I have o.p.   even though I don't feel it and it doesn't restrict in any  manner my lifestyle and my sport activities! . 

What I was saying is that the endocrinologist attributes it to an excess igA level detected by the blood test .

She gave a rather cursory  explanation which I did not fully understand.

I did not feel like discussing this any further.  She is a very well known physician and  a university professor and  we were both pressed for time ( I have been on her waiting list for eight months!).

I think I should trust her. Just that I am very curious person! 

Take care 

Ittiandro

• Posted

Hi Ittiandro,

Glad to hear that your osteoporosis is not hindering your life to much. I can sure understand why you would be curious about the IGA test. I am thinking maybe she saw your results of the bone density test and prescribed the resendronate. From what you wrote, I take she is a well qualified doctor. 

Best wishes

• Posted

I have been using Actonel combi D in the form of a onc-a-month tablet of many years without any problems.

Having been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, over 20 years ago, and having chemotherapy, mabThera and radiotherapy treatments, I was sent for a bone density scan which revealed that I am osteopaenic, hence I was started on the medication as a preventative for full-on osteoporosis.

I didn't have a family history of bone problems, however it became evident that my readings were deteriorating after the cancer treatment, I have 20% compression fracture in my thoracic spine, and have had further spinal surgery, microdiscectomy due to nerve compression at L4 & L5 which caused debilitating sciatic problems.

Surgery remedied the sciatic issues whereby I left my pain on the operating table, the thoracic issues are bearable at the moment.

I hope that my experience with Actonel, little as it is, is of some kind of assistance to you.

I'm interested to see what othershave to add.

I wish you good luck in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.