high intensity focused ultrasound or HIFU

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anybody any experience of HIFU as a treatment for prostate cancer?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It rather looks to me as if the jury is out on this at present. Cheers, Richard

• Posted

I had heard that the NHS had allowed one or two people to have it and NICE had not thrown it out yet.

• Posted

I had the HIFU procedure 2.5 years ago. According to the three 3T MRI's I have had after the procedure, the HIFU destroyed the cancer and (so far) the cancer has not returned. The procedure also eased my bph symptoms although that was just an added benefit.

I am extremely happy with the results.

• Posted

Thanks. I hope you don't mind me asking but did you have any side effects? Also where did you have it done?

• Posted

It is a good treatment for lesions that are small and not near the capsule and nerves. Do not go to a urologist or interventional radiologist unless they have done at least 50 cases. It is a good procedure in the right hands.

EMW

• Posted

You can ask any questions you want.

It was a rough ride as far as recovery. I traveled to Florida and flew back to Idaho with a catheter. Not a fun trip. Had total of 3 Foley catheters. One immediately after the procedure (which was expected). And two additional times when I went into retention for total of 3 over 24 days and pulled each one out myself.

As far as side effects, thats why I picked HIFU. My Urologist and I had an understanding that the procedure would be performed with the priority of destroying the cancer and secondary but still very high priority of preserving all urinary and sexual functions and last, but still important, the objective to destroy additional prostate material to reduce my BPH symptoms to buy me time until a better procedure comes along for BPH.

My results:

No cancer (2.5 years is not long enough to claim victory but so far, so good).

No RE. There is less ejaculate but there is less prostate to produce material.

No ED. As good as before procedure, maybe even slightly better. (But still not as firm as 20+ years ago).

Minimum BPH. I sleep through the night (every night), eat and drink what I want. Stream is decent 90% of the time. Rarely (5% of the time) have any urgency.

The one thing HIFU did not take care of (and I knew it would not correct) was a large median lobe. So I will eventually have to address this issue.

Hope this information helps.

• Posted

I'm not a urology expert, but I do work in oncology, and our oncologists no longer recommend hifu due to the recurrence rates.

• Posted

Hi leeniepie,

Please tell us what the recurrence rate is for HIFU. Also, what procedure is better or preferred by your clinic/hospital?

Thank you.

• Posted

I have heard in UK the recurrency rate is 10%. I am not sure if you have any idea what procedure should be used with:

No symptoms

PSA result 4.1

Biopsy result Gleason score 10 checks done - 3 at 7 and the rest at 4 or 5.

thanks

• Posted

ptolemy,

I'm not a doctor but that sounds like you have a pretty aggressive Gleason score. From what I have read, you probably are not a candidate for the HIFU procedure.

What has your uro recommended?

• Posted

To decide whether I want surgery, radiotherapy or brachytherapy I understood 7 was quite low. The nurse told me am seeing the uro in three weeks.

• Posted

I am not sure what the recurrence rates are in the UK off the top of my head. Most patients I have seen with similar results to yours would have androgen blockers and then radiotherapy

• Posted

Thee years ago I was found to have prostrate cancer with a Gleeson score of 4+3. My treatment started with hormone tablets and monthly injections. to stop the oroduction of testosterone and to shrink the size of my prostrate. This was then followed by about 28 sessions of radio therapy.

At the start of treatment my psa was about 7 and after treatment it had gone down to almost zero. I'm still showing. a psa that has not risen and am now on yeary psa tests so in my case it has been pretty good! When I first had it confirmed that I had prostrate cancer my first reaction was to have surgery to remove it!

Hope that helps you. Cheers, Richard

• Posted

Sorry ptolemy,

I miss-read your post as your Gleason score as 10. No, 7 is not high. Good luck on your treatment. I'm not sure what your options are but do as much research as you can get second opinions and know all the potential side effects.

Most important... Be your own best advocate.

• Posted

Thanks so much. My post was muddling by putting in 10 first!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.