High iron / Hemochromatosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. 

Could anyone help on the below results please? I'm at my wits end with my drs. I am still awaiting my Gene results to find out if I have Hemochromatosis or not. I know I have high ferritin levels but how high are they? I also know that my usual iron levels are normal.

thanks in advance x 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Specimen

Specimen Type: SERUM

Specimen Reference#: 1

Collected: 18 Apr 2017

Received: 18 Apr 2017

Provider Sample ID: JJ596373V

Pathology Investigations

Serum ferritin level 253 ug/L [22.0 - 133.0]

Outside reference range

Ferritin <20 - Iron Deficiency

Ferritin 20 - 30 - Depleted Iron Stores

Please investigate and correct if appropriate

General Information

Service Type: New

Provider Report ID: 2-64391730290004

Report Date: 18 Apr 2017

Message Recipient

GP Practice

Position: Healthcare Organisation

Ordering Party

GP - Dr Amy Wilson

Position: Healthcare Professional

Message Recipient

GP - Dr Amy Wilson

Position: Healthcare Professional

Laboratory Service Provider

Chesterfield

Position: Healthcare Organisation

Laboratory Service Provider

General Pathology

Position: Department

Information About Your TestsThe links below open a third-party site that provides information on tests

Serum ferritin level

• Posted

Hi Nick, your level is technically in most labs' normal range (but pushes the upper limit) , but higher than what most people have. I would get the genetic test, and if positive they will bring you down, but you'll have caught it in time to avoid the bigger health issues that come from high iron levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.