High Iron Levels but Low Ferritin Levels...?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recently had blood work done with a private testing company.

Previously been tested for Anaemia in the past but always came back negative according to GP. Also note, that I am a vegetarian following quite a healthy diet that is otherwise balanced.

There are a few things have caught my attention:

Firstly, my IRON levels are high: 32.09 umol/L, which is above the upper limit of 28.30.

Do note, however, that my haemoglobin and RBC etc. are all quite high though.

Secondly, my FERRITIN levels are low: 25.9 ug/L, which is below the lower limit of 30.0.

Thirdly, I believe that low Ferritin levels can cause hypothyroidism (insufficient production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland.)

My thyroid function was not flagged up on the test results because they (TSH, Free 

THYROXINE and T3) are all within the range.

Fourthly, my (25 OH) VITAMIN D levels were bordering insufficient, but not quite deficient: 

54.3 nmol/L with the lower limit being 50.0.

What does any of this mean for my health?

Should I not take an iron supplement if my iron levels are too high?

Is it worth taking Lysine supplements?

Many thanks for advice.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, I wouldn't take iron all the time. It can cause problems if it's too high. Your ferritin isn't that low, mine was 11.5, virtually no Iron  stores, and my iron was 8.3. Verging on the need for a transfusion, I felt so ill. Your ferritins fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.