High LDH? Very worried about Lymphoma, Liver failure, or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

i am 21 year old male and have been feeling ill for the past few weeks. i also noticed a lump or possible lymph node a couple weeks ago in my upper left thigh that has still not gone away.

Doctor did blood tests the other day and my results were all normal for Complete blood count, lymphocytes, etc., but were raised at 254 for my LDH based on a 130-235 reference range.

i see that ldh can indicate either liver disease or lymphoma. wouldnt lymphoma show up as abmnormal lymphocytes in my blood test? as for liver, i had a full ct scan a few months ago for something different and doctor mentioned i had a fatty liver but nothing concerning. could fatty liver cause ldh levels to rise? im very worried. thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt. From what I know, fatty liver can indeed cause levels to rise. Your number is only slightly elevated, so I wouldn't think there is serious cause for concern. There are alot of common, non-disease reasons the level could read high. As far as your thigh, please try not to obsess about it, just get it checked out and you'll feel better. I understand the anxiety, but all things point to you being fine with a slight glitch in bloodwork that might have to be repeated after a while for routine purposes. I hope this helps. Feel free to write again.

• Posted

thank you very much for your words! ive just been feeling like crap and fatigued which, in addition to the lymph node and blood work, really scared me. im clinging on to the fact that i had many ct scans done a few months ago that would have likely shown anything if it were there. i guess if i had lymphoma or cancer or liver issues, my blood results would be completely abnormal and ghrough the roof.

• Posted

Hi Matt, it's understandable that you'd be scared. Health anxieties are horrible. Even just having a CT scan sets me on edge like you can't believe, but looking at the bigger picture, you've obviously been under a doctor's care, so yes, I think there would be different results if it were serious. What did your doctor say about the slight elevation? Also, anxiety and stress can make you feel like crap. Get the thigh thing checked out and see what your doc says about the number. Hope you'll update here.

• Posted

hey so a quick update. my GP ended up referring me to a hematologist to just look into the LDH numbers and the bump. The lymph node is still there, but hasnt really gotten any bigger, and no additional swollen nodes. still very nervous

• Posted

Hi Matt, thanks for the update. Of course it's nerve-wracking, but try to think of it as you're resolving something that's been causing you a lot of anxiety. When concerned about a health issue, we tend to go to the worst-case scenario, when the truth is that there are literally thousands of reasons in between that can account for what we're seeing. You're on top of this situation, and you're doing what you need to do, try to think of it as a perspective of empowerment. (I can say this because I'm one of the worst offenders!) Continue to keep us updated, and enjoy the weekend.

• Posted

quick update. saw the hematologist this morning and she didnt seem too concerned. she wasnt even sure if it was a lymph node or infected hair follicle or fatty deposit so she had me go get an ultrasound. the technician wasnt able to feel the lump for some reason but i swear its their and the size of a small marble. i could feel it, but whenever she tried to, it would get lost in the skin. also, nothing showed up on the ultrasound scan so im confused if maybe the technician just didnt find it correctly, or if maybe the lump is made up of tissue or skin that wouldnt show on an ultrasound anyways. either way, the lump is definitely there and feels round and hard, about 1.2 cm.

should i be concerned that nothing was found on the ultrasound? the hematologist also sent my bloodwork out to be tested for cancer markers just to be safe but said the quick results showed that my monocytes were slightly elevated. other than that, she found no other nodes in my physical exam.

im just worried about the ultrasound.

• Posted

Hi Matt,

If the lump moves around, that's usually a very good sign. Those things usually go away. I would touch base with your primary and tell him that she couldn't find it but you feel it, and what should you do at this point. I think this is good news, but a follow-up with your primary might go a long ways towards putting you at ease. I'm sorry you're having to go through these appointments. Not fun.

• Posted

thanks sienna! i have a follow up appt with hematologist next tuesday where she will go over my blood results and ultrasound. ill ask her to look again at the lump and see her opinion on biopsy. even if she thinks its just a swollen hair follicle or fatty deposit, maybe it makes sense to have it removed and biopsied anyways.

maybe my blood results will have more to say and put me at ease. all the doctors seem confident its nothing to worry about

• Posted

The lump that you feel could easily be muscle fibers.LDH test is very non- specific and elevated levels should be interpreted with CBC or biochemistry tests.In your case it is probably due to the liver disease.

• Posted

i hope so. im sure the probe was over the area where the lump is so im positive it would have shown up if it was worrisome regardless if the technician could feel it.

the hematologist is running a whole work up on my blood including ldh labs, etc. and hopefully we can pinpoint why i feel crappy

• Posted

Good, about the labs. What specifically are you feeling? Tiredness? You're to be commended for being on top of this. I trust you'll have it figured out and be feeling better very soon.

• Posted

Hi. The hematologist called yesterday with my results. my ldh levels are back to normal, all my blood counts were normal, and no sign of lukemia or lymphoma in the blood. aside from a slight elevation in c reactive protein likely due to a throat or upper respiratory infection, the doctor isnt concerned at all! she even remarked that she wasnt really able to feel if it was a lymph node or not. either way, the small lump is still there so im a bit nervous, but im reassured with all the normal testing. maybe its just a hair follicle or fatty tissue. if it grows bigger or causes new symptoms, i will definitely reach back out, but im hoping all the normal tests indicate that i dont have lymphoma or cancer. thank you guys for your support throughout these tough couple of weeks

• Posted

Hi Matt,

This is very good news! Thank you for letting us know. I know the last couple weeks have been rough but you can put that behind you, now. As for the lump, sometimes nodes swell after an infection and they take forever to go down. If your doctor wasn't concerned enough to biopsy it, then just like you said, see if it goes away or gets bigger. Enjoy your weekend and the good news!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.