High level of vitamin b12

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm diabetic for over 32 years and till 2016 I was 70lbs over weigh.

that year I had a bariatric surgery and lost over 70lbs.

My doctor prescribed vitamin b12 c and d.

My test on vitamin b12 has show an increase level since 2017 from 294 to 832 last week.

I stop taking any vitamin for over 6 months. vitamin d is a little under the normal but b12 every year it goes up.

I was told that bariatric surgery will create a deficiency not an increase. is this something I should worry about. I suppose to see the doctor in 2 weeks but till then I'm really worried because all I can find on Google is liver or kidney disease or worst cancer

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia 14 years ago, now called B12 deficiency. After many years finally found a doctor who listened. I joined Pernicious Anaemia Society which is a tremendous help. my doctor had a consultation by phone with Martin Hooper, MBE the Chairman and after a year I now self inject every 3 weeks. many conditions are mis diagnosed when it is B12. The levels in the UK are half the start measurement (500 here, 1000 Europe, China, Japan,Australia). Also our doseage up to a third of other countries. Look at the Pernicious anaemia site, your level sounds fine, mine is well over 1000. The society and members are great, will answer your questions and really help. Go for it, keep on till you get answers. Chin up xx Marcelle

• Posted

I just want to say that Pernicious Anaemia is still called that . It is a form of B12 deficiency . There are other causes of B12 deficiency , ( google for information ) which can be treated with tablets but PA has to be treated with injections .PA is caused by an antibody that attacks the parietal cells in the stomach which produce a protein called the Intrinsic Factor , and stomach acid , both of which are essential for the absorption of B12 . Pernicious Anaemia is an autoimmune condition and cannot be cured ., and needs lifelong treatment with B12 injections . Patients have different needs of injections . They need injections often enough to keep the symptoms at bay . I know patients who need a daily injection , and others who manage on one every 3 months . I need to inject weekly . Unfortunately doctors do not understand this , and use a "one size fits all "policy .

Best help for P.A. patients with problems is at the Pernicious Anaemia Society .

It is difficult to get a diagnosis because the test for Intrinsic factor antibodies is notoriously unreliable if it comes up negative -- up to 50 % wrong !! Also the blood serum test for B12 reading is also flawed as it includes inactive B12 which is mot available to the body . The Active B12 test is accurate , but many surgeries do not use it . it can be obtained at private laboratories . The lack of stomach acid caused by PA , can cause other vitamins and minerals to be poorly absorbed . It can cause gut problems too, as a lack of stomach acid leads to stomach flora disturbance . . Probiotics helped me with this . ( natural probiotics include organic sauerkraut , kimchi , proper yoghurt, kefir)

Hope this helps .

• Posted

I have the opposite problem. My vitamin B12 is way to high not low.

I suppose to have it low due to the fact that I had bariatric surgery but the test show the opposite. I supposed to be between 300 and 600 and I'm at 832

• Posted

You do not have cancer and will not get it any time soon. Its possible to get cancer, but highly unlikely. Just stay positive and look after your body and it will treat you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.