High lipase serum

Posted , 3 users are following.

i'm a senior lady, 77 years old. My annual check up shows elevated glucose (114), and high lipase serum (117-lab's reference range 13-60). It was 4 months ago, I have tried to educate myself about high glucose, and change diet to LC HF. Recent lab test show improvement in glucose (96), but lipase serum is still high (116).

i don't have any pain, the only symptom is glucose. 

Should I continue my diet, what can I use to lower my high lipase.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Goodness. Is your doctor not concerned?

I am glad you have no pain.

Lipase is produced by the pancreas to break down fats and carbs, so a low fat diet, but high lipase could be caused by many things.

When I was in the hospital with pancreatitis and a lipase of 3000, they hooked me up to an IV and allowed me no food or water to rest my pancreas-- the number began to fall, but you certainly can't not eat or drink without the help of a hospital.

You could go on a liquids only diet fora day, but I think you need to talk about this with your doctor.

Do you still have your gallbladder?

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I have my gallblader. Had ultrasound, didn't show anything. Going to have CT. 

I will try to be on liquids for a day. Thanks again. Have a great day!

• Posted

You said should I continue with my diet~~what IS your diet like?  Are you active, do you exercise? Eating a whole food diet will be the best thing you can do for your body.  What I mean by this is only eat meat, veggies (but nothing white like potatoes) and a little fruit with some nuts and seeds. No processed food at all. No rice, no noodles, no nothing with lots of processing.  If you need help, let me know in a privet message. 
    • Posted

Thank you kindly for your reply.

i'm moderetly active, walk almost everyday (a half an hour at least), climb 200 stairs a few times a week, 10-25 minutes weightlifting 3 x a week, meditation once a week.

i have been health conscious for years. Since my glucose test shows elevated number- June 2016. I have started LC -about 15 g per meal, only low GI, no processed food for years, My diet is based on low GI vegetables, meat, seafood, eggs, very few berries, used to eat a lot.

When I restricted carbs I added fat (a half medium avocado daily, butter, oil olive, and coconut oil. Because of high lipase serum I should be on low fat as well, and won't have enough calories, I have already lost 6 lbs, and don't need that at all. 

Tomorrow have a next dr.appointment to see the result of electrolites test. I'm going to get a refferal for MRI, better than CT. I'd like to know the cause of high lipase. What do you suggest?

Warm regards,

Danuta

• Posted

Your diet is amazing! Good for you, you are doing it!

If you pass a small stone or have pancreas inflamation, it can raise your lipase. Is that what the MRI is for?

• Posted

I think I have pancreas inflammation, and because of that high lipase serum.

MRI is more accurate than CT, it's a magnetic resonance imaging scan in my case of the abdomen. It should shows what tissue is normal,blood vessel too narrow or wide, stone, etc.

i don't think that I have passed any stone because my lipase serum is the same since first test -June 2016. 

Have a dr. appointment in 2 hours to find out the electrolites test result, and get MRI refferal. I want to know the cause.

Have a nice day!Danuta

• Posted

come back and let us all know 💚

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.