High mcv/mch

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi recently had bloods done. Only thing abnormal is evevated mcv and mch which doctors were doing nothing about.

My b12 serum was ok as well as folate in fact doctor commented that b12 was at the higher end of normal.

Do this leaves the mcv mch unexplained. A b12/ folate def would explain my symptoms especially muscle twitching for 4 years!!!

As well as this earlier this year my sister was told she had b12/folate deficiency and was prescribed meds.

Should I do something about this?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You have to get a print out of your actual results with the ranges. Unfortunately many GP's don't know enough about low B12 and it's effects. You can also have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website for more information and a full symptom list.

Did your GP check ferritin, folate and VitD levels too? These need to be well into range for the B12 you do have to be used by your body.

Are you vegetarian or vegan as this can be a reason for B12 levels to be low? 

You should also tell your doctor that your sister has been diagnosed with a deficiency, as it often runs in families.

Marion 

• Posted

As Marion says you really need to quote test levels and their ranges from - to and high levels of B12 in the blood doesn't necessarily mean that it is getting to the cells..

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.