High monocytes for months , is it normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with mono almost 5 months ago, my CBC showed monocytes were high at 12.000 at that time, I did a CBC this month and it stills high but at 6.000 . Can you guys tell me how was your monocytes during the months of mononucleosis ?

Please I need help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

My WBC, monocytes etc were always NORMAL. Nothing from my blood tests indicated I was ill, it was just my symptoms.. and my blood tests showed a past EBV and CMV infection at some time in my life.. i have read lots of people’s stories that their blood tests were immaculate or strange while suffering from mono symptoms / post mono symptoms. 

You might get lots of different answers depending on when people tested during the course of their illness.

• Posted

Hi Frederico,

So sorry to hear you have been going through mono for the last 5 months, really empathising having been through a tough time with it myself a number of years ago. I'm afraid I don't have any knowledge about the different levels in the blood tests, but I do want to reassure you that it is normal for mono to go on for this long and make a full and complete recovery - it happened for me, I thought things would never get better at times but thanks to God they did - and want to reassure you that things do get better with this, just so frustrating it can take a number of months, for me it took 9-10 months for a major breakthrough to come (the first 6 months were certainly the worst though and the intensity lessens), that doesn't mean to say it will take so long for you, everyone is different but absolutely there is full and completely recovery. And if recovery doesn't come right away, don't panic because it definitely will come with time.

Thinking of you and hoping someone with much greater medical knowledge than me can shed some light on your blood test results. 

Vitamins and herbs definitely helped me - a good strong multi-vitamin per day, B100 complex (good for energy levels and nervous system), Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea. 

Thinking about you and believing you will get through this - I know how hard it is to go through this and want to encourage you that things won't always be this way - they DO get better and you WILL get through this - trusting in God for your recovery, hang in there and just take each day as it comes, getting through each day is an achievement with this thing I know that for sure.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.