High pitched tinnitus

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have developed high pitched (~13,000 Hz) tinnitus in one ear that started suddenly a week ago. The ear feels a bit weird some of the time, almost like there is something in there, but my hearing doesn't appear to be particularly altered. I had a few dizzy spells, one of which left me feeling like I was going to pass out and triggered a massive horrific panic attack.

I went to the Dr and she said my eardrum was fine, have no further help or advice and to come back in two weeks to see a different Dr if it didn't get better.

I haven't had any loud noises near my ear, no trauma, no colds or anything. What on earth could be causing this infernal ringing?!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I've tried everything... Finally I got to Accupuncture ( on my long list of things and doctors to try)

It has toned down the pitch

All please try but find a good qualified acupuncturist

Let me hear from you all if this helps you too

Happy Sue😎

• Posted

Don't know is the answer We are all fed with the "noisy enviroment ,bash on the 

head etc " Iv'e had mine for about four years, Iv'e been through all the

different orchestral sounds ,one ear,both ears Double whammy screech at this

point in time ,and to top it all ,I have acquired  Vertigo, or Meniere's disease

the verdict is in the making. Think I  would prefer T.T to the dizzies.

I don't do panic attacks,it's a case of   something else to add to the list of

incurables that I now collect .and to keep the stress levels down.

• Posted

I've had balance problems sinse I was a child but the tinnitis didn't start until I had bronchitis and was told by the doctor that I had a blocked eustacian tube in my left ear.  Saline solution helps the sinuses but the ringing hasn't gone away.  Last year I had a stroke that effected the vision in my left eye making my tracking way off.  Talk about dizzy and the feelings one would get when they drink too much.  Balance and ringing  come from the inner ear and when hurricanes come I get headaches that nothing will take away.  There are so may things that could cause the problem so if your primary physician doesn't give you enough information consult with an ENT. I'll be praying for you.
  • Posted

Sparklypickle....

I have had the same type of T for 4 yrs. If you have any allergies it may be the reason, thats how i aquired it, my tubular gets swollen and does not drain all the mucus and thats how it gets bacteria in there causing my high pitch T, Docs don know nothing about T, they still in the dark ages, they just guess most of the times, if you have otitis media that can very well be the reason for your T, i was misdiagnose twice by 2 diffrent doc, till i found a real good one, now its bad sometimes but i cope with it good, still hav3 to get an MRI to see what can be done, hut i have been like that for 4 yrs. Now and here i am, still kickin, you be alright, it takes time to adapt to it but you will bud.

• Posted

Hey all, thanks for your stories and ideas. In my case I believe that the tinnitus was caused by a drug withdrawal. I had my dose increased and the tinnitus got much better. I am slowly coming off prozac but withdrawal is a real pain. In addition I haven't been taking antihistamines for a few months so I could have also had some allergies. I'm now starting to get my mystery ( apparently it's not grass or trees) seasonal allergy symptoms so I'm back on the antihistamines and my tinnitus has only improved.
    • Posted

Good deal! Im glad you doing much better, i wish all of us would, God bless you people.
    • Posted

I' making good progress from the stroke, but the ringing in the ears continues on. It tends to bother us less when something more serious happens to us.
    • Posted

I find if I distract myself then it doesn't cause emergency is much distress. I really think fixation and worrying and haring out for the ringing makes it a lot worse. Pay I'm glad to hear that you are recovering from your stroke.
    • Posted

Oh dear. Autocorrect fail that should not say 'emergebcy is' it should say 'as'

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.