High Platelets and low MPV???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum for this type of problem... if not, could someone direct me to the right place?  Here's my situation...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  I've been having all kinds of symptoms for the past 2 months for which I have taken many tests to find out what it is.  

Symptoms:

- Dizziness 

- Bad headaches

- Heart skipping a beat

- Tired

- Unable to concentrate at work, sometimes fleeting feeling of confusion (very fleeting) and forgetful 

Those are the biggest symptoms that bother me the most.

Having said that, I've had

- EKG - normal

- Cholesterol - normal

- Ferritin - 14.6 (normal but at the lower end.  Normal range is from 13 - 150 ug-L

- CT Scan (haven't had the results yet)

- They've tested many things in two seperate blood tests so far, and all seems normal exept that the main reason that I am writing here is, I was told that my Platelets are a little bit high (level at 415 - normal range should be between 150-400 x10*9 per L)  AND, my MPV level is low at 7.2 (normal range should be between 8-11.5 fL. (I'm in Canada, so our normal ranges are not the same as the US I believe based on info I got online)

The doctor is sending me for more blood tests to see where they are now as this test was done a month ago.

What would slightly elevated PLT and low MPV could mean?  Anyone has any knowledge or experience with this?  I've looked online a little, and it says that if your PLT are high along with dizziness and headaches to go see a doctor right away.  I just saw my doctor, she knows about my symptoms and my slightly elevated PLT and low MPV and she is not looking super concerned.  Although she is sending me for more blood test. Should I worry?

Thanks for your input.

M.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Don't be too alarmed at your results they are not optimal but not urgently bad either. A repeat blood test might shed more light. One thing you can focus on whilst waiting for the other tests is your iron levels which fit your symptoms. Feritin of 13 is not "medically" low but  you might feel better when your ferritin is around 70. Did they test your iron levels? Have a chat with the doctor for their conclusion as it can take a few months to increase your levels. 

• Posted

Thank you Jenny for your input. It's appreciated! I will be going for another blood test tomorrow. We'll see what it says.

It's so confusing when you see three different doctors and they all have their own version of what's considered "high" or "low" ir "normal" levels. One told me I needed to take iron supplements. Then I saw a cardiologist and he said I should stop taking them because My levels are normal, then I saw my family doctor and she said I was also in the normal. So I had been taking my supplements for one week and I stopped them since then.

I don't have my results with me at moment for iron levels. I will check and let you know.

Thanks again!

M.

• Posted

Hi

Did you get a diagnosis for your symptoms? I have very similar symptoms and no diagnosis despite many tests.

Thanks

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.