High potassium

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, had some blood results back today which show potassium at 5.3 (normal is 3.5 - 5.3), sodium 142 (normal 133 - 146) and creatinine 66 (normal 44 - 80), have been suffering with heart palps and flutters from 2 years now, all tests show nothing wrong with heart, but having googled potassium levels, higher ones can cause flutters. Has anyone else had this? I am having to do my own research as GP's just ignoring me and telling me there is nothing wrong this heart, which I accept, but do not accept the constant buzzing in chest.  I have an appointment tomorrow anyway so will be mentioning what I have read, just wanted some back up. I also have cold hands, headache and just feel rubbish.  I am 57 and female and live in UK.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hey, 5.3 is not that bad. what i would do is ask for it to be tested maybe 2 or 3 more times to get the avg level of it and if its 5.3 or above then worry about it. I myself suffer from a myopathy as determined from a muscle biopsy( waiting for more genetic testing to get done). the first abnormal test i had done was potassium, it came back at 6.5( the testing lab called at 3Am to warn me because they thought my life was in danger) had it retested and it kept coming back around 5.8 and slowly back to normal range over the course of a year. due to it i had to have 2 emg's done, a muscle biopsy, and several genetic test.

• Posted

HI Will, saw GP today who basically laughed when I said potassium was at high end of normal accoring to NHS charts. 3.5 - 5.3 she said in her clinical opinion potassium goes up and down so not to worry, but if I preferred to believe google then that was my choice.  I was really upset about her reaction as made to feel stupid. Are they worried about you at 5.8 and is it just diet that you are using to bring it down, do not want mine to go any higher.  Thanks
  • Posted

my potassium  was only high for those couple months, however the doctor checks it often like every few months to make sure its not high again. mine was likely high the first time due to muscle breakdown as i was having muscle weakness and had lost alot of weight in a short perioid like 60 pounds in 2 months. so if your muscles are ok and your kidney function is good your likely fine potassium wise.
    • Posted

Hi Will, Sorry to hear about your problems, that is a lot of weight in a short space of time, hope you are ok now.  My kidneys all ok, I do have fybromyalgia and muscles a bit sore sometimes but nothing other than that, hopefully the next time they are measured will be ok, they were 4.6 in December and now 5.3 (had a DVT in December so blood being checked for clotting).  Take care
    • Posted

hmm i also noticed you metion cold hands and headache perhaps you should look into auto immune  Vasculitis and ask your doctor about running anca,esr, and crp blood test. 

just say something like " well if its not my potassium causing me the chest problems maybe we could ook into so and so and do the simple blood test to make sure tis not a forum of vasculitis as that can also cause cold hands and headaches

• Posted

HI Will, I did say to her "what could it be" and that is when she said you are over thinking this, sat up in her seat and just glared at me, not a very successful consultation especially as I have waited 3 weeks for it, I will wait to see what this palputations clinic is.  My last CRP was 26 which was when I had my DVD which was extremely painful, so A&E said it was good considering, they expect it be higher.  It is usually around 6 but I do have arthritis which caused it to be a bit higher.  Will look into vasculitis and mention it next time I see her, which I am not looking forward to.  Take care

• Posted

hmm if this continues i think you should look for a new doctor imo.. you shouldnt be uncomfortable bringing up concerns/ problems with your doctor.. i look forward to seeing my doctor and inorder to get the the right test to finaly determine what was wrong with me i had to see him once a month for like the last 2 years. I have even corrected him nemorus times and when i do he brings up google to double check that i am right and thanks me for correcting his mistake lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.