High potassium irritates gastritis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Some of you may have seen me on here already. I have previously suffered with severe gastritis caused by H pylori. After nearly 2 years I am pretty much healed although I had to learn a lot on the way and change my diet and lifestyle.

One thing that I noted from keeping a food diary was that any food with high potassium in it really irritated my stomach. It took me a while to make the link, but I noted that after eating bananas or drinking coconut water my stomach would be sore and flare up.

It took about a day or so settle down afterwards. I cut out all high potassium foods from my diet and I didn't get anymore irritation.

I wondered if any other gastritis or ulcer sufferers had the same ? There isn't much about it on the Internet and I just wondered if it was me or is it common for potassium to irritate gastritis?

Thanks. Paul.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Paul good luck. Sounds like your solution is the one that will work, however potassium is in almost everything. A nutritionist (good luck finding one) or an experienced pjarmacist may be able to help. My mother had low potassium and too medication for it. her Dr told her that she must eat when taking potassium or it would eat thru the lining of her stomach. she did not listen and ended with ulcers.
    • Posted

Hi. Yes I read that people who take potassium tablets can get damaged stomach and intestines.

Potassium is in a lot of foods you're right, but in bananas (ripe ones) and coconut water it is very high.

When my gastritis was bad if I ate a banana or drank coconut water I would get a painful burning sensation above my belly button for a few hours after. Then my stomach would feel sore. The only logical conclusion I could come up with was that it was the high potassium that irritated my stomach lining.

Perhaps once my stomach lining is fully healed I may be able to tolerate them again, but for now it's a no no!

• Posted

Paul I eat bananas purely for having Blood pressure  but the following day I find they make me really Gastric.Thats bananas out the window as from today . Interesting read you've placed . Will pass this info on . 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Marlene. Yes I do think it is the high potassium levels that can irritate a sensitive stomach. So I'm avoiding high potassium foods !

• Posted

Well I certainly can't answer your question. But people been wondering if anybody truly ever gets well after H-Pylori. You seem to be the one person whose been through the treatment and responded back on this site..it seems I never see anyone that's either been cured or what their outcome was. Almost everyone is either taking the treatment or just finishing. Glad to hear you've made progress.

• Posted

Hi. I have spoken to others who have healed but it also took them months (3-6) and it had to involve strict diet.

And I do think that your stomach will remain sensitive for years to come, perhaps for the Rest of your life. The bacteria causes some

Serious damage and it may never fully heal.

However 2 years on I am pretty good day to day as long as I don't go daft with what I eat / drink. I tend to eat healthy Monday - Friday and relax a bit on weekend. I am not on ppi anymore and just use supplements and probiotics. It can be done. Just takes time and discipline. A food diary is key as you pick out unsuspecting foods that irritate you (like I did with bananas and coconut water!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.