High potassium level

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mom is undergoing dialysis twice a week, but her potassium level in blood is high even after dialysis. It's around 6 and goes till 7.4 pre dialysis.has someone suffered from continuous high level of potassium. She controlled her diet but there is no affect. Is there any medical treatment to it. Please guide

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sajal, I'm not on dialysis yet, but I have struggled with elevated potassium in the past. I follow a 2000mg daily potassium diet. I also take 650 mg of sodium bicarbonate daily which pulls potassium out of my system.

My nephrologist has indicated that when I'm out on dialysis I should be able to eat mire potassium, I think. Anyway, which type of dialysis is your mom receiving, HD or PD? Because they work differently, your mom's nephrologist will have to do different things to try to lower her potassium levels.

Marj

• Posted

My mom is on haemodialysis , are you taking sodium bicarbonate in form of tablets. will you share your case in details with present medication.
    • Posted

Yes, I'm taking sodium bicarbonate in tablet form. It's a 650 mg tablet that I take twice a day. It does not have to be taken with meals.

I take this medication AND follow a low potassium diet eating no more than 2000 mg of potassium daily. Most days I eat 1600-1700 mg of potassium.

Please note, I don't think you should try this with your mom without talking with her nephrologist about it first. Low potassium is as dangerous for her cardiovascular health as is high potassium.

There are other medications for potassium binding. You might ask about those too. 

What does her nephrologist think about the rest of her data while she's on HD? How long has she been on HD? Does she have other serious health issues, e.g., heart disease, diabetes? Each of our cases are so unique. So our treatment plans will share elements but the specific details of our plans will have to be individualized for each of us.

I'd start by asking your mom's nephrologist what can be done to lower her potassium level? Can her HD treatments be modified in some way to help with this? What should she change at home to help with this?

Let us know how she's doing.

Marj

• Posted

Thanks for your important insights , will surely let you know about her updates
  • Posted

I have been on dialysis since February 2014. I have been told that there is no medicine that can reduce postassium. For high phosphorus, there is a binder called Sevelamer Carbonate.

However diet is more important.

High postassium are oranges, one or two slices are okay. A whole orange is not. No whole bananas should be eaten, they contain 584 of postassium. Maybe a slice might be safe. A small tomato contains 909 . A slice may not be harmful. No orange juice. I do eat clementines, they are very small and the contain less than 150 mg of postassium.

The internet may give you the different levels of postassium in fruits, vegetables and juices.

It is wise to talk to a renal dietician about what you can eat.

I am no a doctor.

You can eat potatoes safety, if you first boiling them for about 3 hours, then throw the water out and reboil them with fresh water.

But I don't eat any potatoes, whether they are boiled or fried, mainly because I don't cook, someone else does.

There are. fruits and vegetables that can be eaten, but in very small portions. For example, one half cup of apple sauce, strawberries, grapes, watermelon. Vegetables, half a cup of green beans, corn,cabbage, and peas.

Eat more of these, will ncrease postassium levels.

Maybe your doctor may know if there are drugs available to reduce postassium levels.

Good luck in your search to help your mother in reducing her high postassium levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.