High potassium levels in blood test a common PMR thing?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just got results from tests. Have others had the same results?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What medicines are you taking?

Do you have nay kidney problems?

• Posted

Hi philoso4

Have you been taking NSAIDS these can raise potassium in the blood...my best wishes to you...

• Posted

I’m a 12 year member of this “special” group. The only time my potassium was high was in the fall. ... too many new garden tomatoes and daily bananas.  Told to cut both out which solved the problem.  Now I eat them sparingly.  
  • Posted

No, not a common thing as far as I know. As eddylyn says - possibly a change in diet so you are eating a lot of potassium containing foods? Or were you dehydrated when they took the sample? 

A very common reason for a raised potassium is actually a problem with the blood sample - when red blood cells break down before the assay is carried out the potassium level in the plasma shoots up. That can be due to poor technique in taking the sample (too narrow a needle for example), letting the sample lie around at room temperature for too long before spinning it to remove the red cells, shaking the sample. Then a repeat sample should get the right answer.

There are several illnesses including kidney problems which will cause genuine hyperkalaemia. But Addison's is also a cause - what level of pred are you on? If you are at 5mg or lower then you could be suffering from adrenal insufficiency because your adrenal glands haven't caught up with the reduction in pred dose.

Some heart/BP drugs can cause raised potassium - are you on any? And I assume you are not taking any potassium supplements?

Or it could be due to a bit of everything - as a well-known supermarket tells us: every little helps. What is your doctor going to do? Because he does need to do something to find out why and put it right.

• Posted

Whenever a lab test is too abnormal it's a good idea to repeat it; perhaps the lab machine was out of calibration or even a specimen switch. We had that experience: my husband had had a total prostatectomy and his psa should be very low. It wasn't so his surgeon said draw another sample with, perhaps, a different lab. This we did and the results have been normal then and the last 25 years. 

A thought: some herbal supplements can raise potassium.

All the best.

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.