High prolactin levels with no apparent cause.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I have had high prolactin levels (3427), and rising. But had an MRI and other tests which have all come back fine. My doctor has said that it is down to having my son who is now 16 months old. I understand the levels do raise whilst pregnant and when bf, but I stopped bf at 4 months and thought by now my periods should have returned. I have had about three since November, lasting a couple of days and very light.

I am gaining weight rapidly, and want to start ttc by June . I have basically been told to wait and see if they return. They tried medication for two weeks, but my levels barely reduced. Had a blood test this week and my levels are at their highest.

I feel quite down that just being told to deal with it and wait and see. My biological clock is ticking so waiting isn't great. Has anyone else had anything similar or been able to reduce their levels naturally?

Tia

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was diagnosed with high prolactin and a pituitary Tumor in 1999. I had an MRI scan together with blood tests which verified this, I was immediately put onto medication, and was taking it until forum years ago when my endo took me off them so I have been medication free for four years. Recent MRI scans prove I still have a pituitary Tumor, but they say it is now none producing, but my prolactin is higher than it should be, though not as high as yours at this present time. My own GP and my endocrinology nurse feel that I should be taking medication, when I spoke with my endocrinologist he is adamant that my Tumor is now non producing. When I asked him if that’s so, why is my prolactin still on the high side, his reply was that other things can cause prolactin to raise, one he said was pain, he said even things such as stubbing your toe, can cause your prolactin too rise. I hope this helps and you soon get an answer too your high prolactin.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. How frustrating for you. Has it had an impact on your health of late?

My MRI was clear, thyroid all normal, etc, but I'm just find it hard to accept that it's because I had my son 16 months ago. I have since then had periods but irregular along with very light and now stopped, again. I just feel I'm being fobbed off and would soon like to try for another baby, and not quite sure how long I should be expected to wait for everything to return to normal.

• Posted

Hi Tia,

Your experience sounds frustrating, there is nothing worse than not having an answer!

My prolactin level was 7000ish when it was first tested (I think) and my periods had completely stopped. Once I was diagnosed and on meds they came back quickly.

Have you seen an endocrinologist? When are they next going to recheck your bloods?

Also apparently stress especially at blood sampling can increase your prolactin. I am not sure how significant that is but could it be a factor?

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I was tested yesterday, and I have an appointment on the 22nd May with the endocrinologist, however my GP spoke yesterday to the endocrinologist and they advised her that my levels are high because of having my baby 16 months ago and not to put me on any medication as it never reduced the levels (only by 200), so no point basically. I have only just got my appointment through and was referred back in Feb, so just seems ongoing and very long process. Are you levels back to normal and was there any specific reason why your levels were so high. I've not had a period since Feb now sad

• Posted

Hopefully your endocrinologist will be able to make sense of things. They seem like clever people.

I had a 11mm prolactinoma (my doc originally said my prolactin levels weren't high enough to know for certain it was a prolactinoma or whether it was a non secretory adenoma causing high prolactin). I have been on quinagolide for about 4 years and the tumour is now no longer visible on MRI.

I do remember my endocrinologist saying that once your prolactin levels come down your fertility returns quickly.

Have they checked your thyroid? Mine is checked regularly so I think can be affected too

• Posted

Well, the obvious , would be

A prolactinoma.

Because of the weight gain you may also

Want to check your cortisol levels

And igf-1 levels

I would check your prolactin levels every 3 months or so

and to keep checking about a possible prolactinoma

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.