High prolactin oh no

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have pretty high prolactin. I had my thyroid removed three years ago and don't feel right. On a post a while ago I asked about muscle spasms and muscle loss and started taking coq10. My thyroid levels are all in normal range. But it seems my prolactin is always high. With the side effects that come with it as a male. I'm hoping someone can help me.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tim, the CoQ10 will certainly help prevent cramps, as it helps oxygenate the blood. Have you tried a good multi-mineral supplement?  Another thing to try is essential amino acids.

I'll look up prolactin and see what I can come up with. But I suspect that you may have had adrenal exhaustion if you've been dealing with thyroid disease for an extended period of time. This can really throw off your hormone system and would explain some of the muscle loss.   How are your testosterone levels?

• Posted

Right now I am on 120 grain of armour. Then I take vitamin b, zinc, selenium, magnesium, coq10
    • Posted

Ok. Hypothyroidism, low testosterone, high prolactin. I think I'd first rule out the possibility of high prolactin being caused by marijuana or prescription medications other than thyroid.

Next I'd look at adrenal exhaustion. The adrenals produce precursors to steroid hormones. So if you've got both hypothyroid and adrenal exhaustion, this could be what's throwing your hormonal system off. It happens to women also, just we don't notice the low testosterone as much as the low progesterone because it messes us up. 

If you get your adrenals back on track, and your hormones don't sort themselves out, you're left with a pitualitary disorder or environmental endocrine disrupters.

Looks like they deleted my other two comments. Not sure why. 

• Posted

Hi Tim, while hypothyroidism untreated can result in high prolactin levels, so can a myriad medications: particularly psyche drugs,  gastrointestinal drugs and marijuana. Termination of use of these drugs usually results normalizing of prolactin levels. 

If you have not been on any other medications, you can attribute the high  prolactin levels to low thyroid. If your thyroid levels are ok, you may want to think about raising them to the high end of normal, or trying a different medication. 

I realize all these suggestions may be futile, but you'll have to troubleshoot and work to eliminate causes, and find what works.

Hope there's something here that's helpful for you.

• Posted

Try doing a search on "causes of high prolactin levels on men". You might find some interesting information this way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.