High protein in Urine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dears....

I had several complications after drooping my GFR to 36, and still could not sort out how to stop high protein leak from kidney. I have form in urine and doctor change the BP tablet but form did not go away. How bad this situation can further deteriorate the kidney GFR? Or is it something normal and not to worry much. My doctor said its ok for me take protein in normal quantities. 

Please share with me your experience please. 

CS

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Colombos,

Has your nephrologist identified the cause of your protein leakage? 

As my kidneys have deteriorated I have begun to present slightly elevated protein in my irine. My nephrologist says that it is due to the deterioration in my renal function. There isn't anything I can do to decrease the protein in my urine. He does NOT want me decreasing my daily protein intake. And I'm already eating the preferred types of protein.

Marj

• Posted

Dear Friend: I am not a Doctor, but from my experience, I have the following observations:

Protein leakage i.e. Proteinurea is not normal for the Kidney function. High leakage of urine protein (2+ and or 3+) is a sign of Kidney damage. It could be said that there may be damage in Kidney basement membrane, which allows protein to leak. Urine Protein should not be more than 150 mg/L. You have to check 24 hours urine to see urine protein/creatinine ratio, which should not be more than 0.2 mg/mg. However, these numbers/ratio a little more than the normal range doesn't matter. I have seen that the Doctors do not pay heed much to the leakage of urine protein.

However, my advice will be to take Low-Protein Diet. Total Daily Protein consumption should not be more than 30 gm. Avoid red meat, take organic food specially fruits and vegetables, drink limited amount of water say 1.5-2 Liter, not more than that. More urine discharge you will loose more protein.

Please note that the above explanation is from my own experience, which in any case will not be considered as a professional advice; you have to take Doctor's advise to restrain Protein Leakage.

Regards.

• Posted

Actually, I am following my nephrologist's direction regarding my diet and daily fluid intake already. My slightly elevated protein is just that; slightly elevated protein. It is just outside the normal range at this point.

My point in my earlier post was to seek out professional help for elevated protein levels. Each of our cases are unique and so require individualized treatment plans. Consequently I do not feel comfortable giving any medical advice to anyone participating in this forum.

Marj

• Posted

Hi I just want to say I went to give blood and the tech took my urine and said I had a high protein level in my urine. That was like 10 years ago and I did nothing about it also my urine was very foamy as well. To make a long story short I am now on dialysis and I'm only 46 years old so if I were you. I would go see a neuphrologist....

• Posted

Spilling protein in my urine is how I discovered I had CKD.  I cut back on protein, and eventually protein started making me sick.  But it took about 20 years, from the beginning of the protein leaking to dialysis. You should check with your nephrologist.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the comments, I am in consultation with a nephrologist. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.