High pulse after gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

My mom is 65 years old and had her gallbladder removed with a laparoscopy surgery. She is being kept in the hospital for four days now due to the fact she had not eliminated the gas until now. The doctors told us after this she will get better and will be able to go home. Her pulse got really high yesterday up to 160, the doctors are telling us it's just an anxiety attack. I'm afraid something is wrong.. Can anyone help and maybe let us know if this is normal? I should probably mention that she barely ate some vegetables soup in these 4 days.

Any answer is helpful.

Thank you! sad

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Maddiem, sorry to learn your Mom is having these troubles.  Was she given painkillers containing codeine in the hospital?  That could have suppressed her appetite, and slowed down her digestive system.  Surgery, even key hole surgery is a shock to the body, and it may be taking her a while to recover, especially if she was ill with gallbladder problems before.  Her recovery might take some time, longer than her doctors predict for her to recover; as people age, it takes them longer to get better than it would say, someone who was thirty or forty years old.  So, I think it might help if when she gets home she could keep to a very light, low fat diet, with small frequent meals.  Each individual recovers differently, but I think she might need frequent rest breaks, do a bit of activity, if she can.  Take care, and best of luck.  Let us know how things are doing!
  • Posted

Hello Dear,

I had gall bladder removal too by laparascopic surgery. Right after I went out from tecovery room the nurses we're insisted me to push my self to stand and walk step by step in order to pass some gases in my stomach. After few hours I started to do it and I made to pass some gases. I never experienced high pulse rate on the first week after post surgery. The high pulses I've experience started when Im already in a few months until now but its just happening sometimes. The doctor said its just an anxiety. She must stay in a bland diet for awhile so that her stomach will not be surprise after the removal and can minimize the diarrhea.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words and reply! I will stay with her the whole day so I can give her small amounts of soup to eat. I really hope she will get better today so she can go home tomorrow where she feels better

I believe the stress of hospital and not eating plus the age is what got her with the high pulse.

Anxiety is terrible I'm so sorry to hear everyone is battling with it sad

Thank you again (actually I cannot thank you both enough) for taking a little bit of time to respond to me and by doing this calming me a little!

Wishing you all a healthy recovery.

Hugs,

Maddie

• Posted

Hi there, sorry yr Mum is having some difficulties. I am over 60 and having a Gb removal op in a few weeks as well after months of being very sick. I am pretty scared as we know when we are older there are more risks and recovery is harder. I just wanted to mention that I have had fast heart rate a few times and been to A & E and had paramedics, this is during gallbladder attacks, but was not due to the pain, although that can cause anxiety, it was due to low blood sugars from not eating properly (I'm not diabetic) I felt as if it was a heart attack and I would die. They gave me some glucose by mouth and encouraged me to eat something with sugars in - I had low fat custard even though did not want anything really. But soon I felt better and heart rate, everything went normal, though I still had the pain of course. Just a thought, if your mum has these attacks, it may be worth trying a sweet drink or food (assuming she is not a diabetic or anything). I'm sure the hospital will be confident she has no major heart issues before discharge, they do a lot of tests, but it is scary. If it proves to be anxiety from the meds or shock of the op, breathing into a paper bag can help to reduce that. I had tried this but it did not work so I knew there was something else and my blood sugars had dropped really low, even though I had soup earlier. Good luck to you both x

• Posted

I can only echo Cynthia here. Dehydration can quicken the heart also. I hope your mum feels better soon and can come home. X

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia,  I, too, am over 60.  I'm hoping that you will feel much better after your gallbladder removal and that your surgery goes well.  It is truely scary, but afterwards, you will not have to live with the pain and uncertainty of when you might have another attack. Your post shows that you have developed good coping skills, and have lots of courage.  Please try not to let the uncertainty get you down.  Best to you, and please let us know how you're doing!
    • Posted

Will do, Lynda, thank you so much for being so supportive and your good wishes, bless you xx
    • Posted

You are very welcome!  I know what it's like to have these problems that no one but a fellow sufferer can understand.  Please keep us posted! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.