High reading

Posted , 6 users are following.

Following on from my first post I’ve been back to the doctors for a check up after coming off amlodipine.  Since coming off I have felt alive and like my old self but the doctor took my blood pressure at the surgery and it came back at 152/100 and he basically said to me that if he was my age (50 just gone) and with a reading that high he would definitely go back on blood pressure tablets as I’m at a very high risk of a stroke.  When I do my own readings at home they come out at 141/85 sometimes lower so I don’t know what to do 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have white coat syndrome where your BP spikes in the Drs surgery. Why dont you take some readings at home over a week and take them back to the surgery. That should be sufficient for them to see your BP is not high all the time.  I’m a good one to talk I take Amlodopine and Perindopril but luckily get no side affects. I have white coat syndrome and am so anxious about having my BP taken that I just hope the tablets are doing the trick as I am too scared to have it taken or to take it at home. How pathetic is that!!!
  • Posted

As the previous answer stated, take your own readings for a week of two and go back and give them to your doctor. 141/85 is a bit on the high side according to the UK NICE advice. The Harvard medical group state:

'High blood pressure used to be diagnosed at a measurement of 140/90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or higher. Now these authorities state that if your blood pressure is 130/80 mm Hg or higher, you have hypertension.?' Feb 2018

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/new-guidelines-for-high-blood-pressure-diagnosis-and-treatment

?I would like to see the evidence as they keep changing the goal posts. August 2017, they stated differently and doctors were treating too quickly and aggressively with medication: see

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blood-pressure/whats-the-right-blood-pressure-number-for-you

Prescription drugs nearly always have side effects. I am going to try the advice of other patients of drinking a lemon in hot water every day, apple cider vinegar, grape seed extract (see various patient forums), and will introduce one by one to see what works (alongside the usual of increasing exercise,decreasing alcohol, losing weight etc.). 

• Posted

HI Smiley, I find my BP goes way up when visiting the docs. It's called white coat syndrome as Angela has mentioned and definitely exists. I suggest you continue to take readings at home but also get a third party to take it on another monitor to see how that compares before you go back on medication. Good luck. Hope it stays down. 

• Posted

I have white coat syndrome so I know what that is like. My blood pressure at home is always in the normal range, but when I go to the doctor it can spike as high as 200/150 and I also break out in hives. At the doctor's insistence I have tried three different meds, but just one dose of each has made me sick so I take nothing. It works for me, but you have to make up your own mind. I do keep an herbal supplement called "Pressure-lo" on hand and if I am under stress I take a couple of tablets. I avoid doctors, but I take herbal supplements. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.