High red blood count from lexapro?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I stopped lexapro on Tuesday and have had random symptoms ranging from dizziness, fevers, nausea, dry heaving, overheating, severe gastrointestinal issues, and today I was in such pain on my right side that I ended up in the ER. They checked my blood and gallbladder and my gallbladder was fine however I was told my red blood count was higher than normal! Could lexapro be the cause? Ugh.. feeling stressed about this.. as if all those other things aren’t enough then I have to get that thrown in! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi! It's really very strange. For how long have you been on lexapro and on which dose?

I aggree that during the lexapro therapy I also have higher blood pressure but I need this pressure because I have normally low.

For my opinion you should not consider that all these symptons come from stopping the medecine because if you think so...you understand..better you ask your doctor.

Is it the first time you give up antidippressands?

• Posted

I've never heard of high red blood count being a side effect of Lexapro. Maybe it's a side effect of anxiety, though? Did the ER staff tell you what the higher red blood count is from?

• Posted

Nope, they just sent me on my way and said I should give blood! Pretty ridiculous. I went to my dr yesterday and he re ran the blood work and I’m just waiting on the results.. 
    • Posted

Nope, they just sent me in my way and said I should give blood! I went to my dr and he re ran all the blood work and now I’m waiting on results. 
  • Posted

Would Love to know what the hospital ER told You...
    • Posted

The ER doc said I had high red count but wasn’t sure why and that I had about 4 pints of blood too many.. said I should give blood.. I went to my dr and he re ran the blood work and in just waiting on the results.. I just happened to see an article that said lexapro seemed to have that affect on women of a certain age group and having taken it less than a month so I thought I’d see if anyone else had experienced it..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.