High risk or not

Posted , 8 users are following.

I thought everyone with emphysema gets a letting from NHS or the doctors me and wife both have emphysema and not herd anything at all.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Here in America, our health system is very different. From what I have read, in the UK the the more "at risk" people are getting official letters regarding their situation. If you feel that you've been excluded, I recommend that you contact your Dr. or medical service to discuss your case.

Stay Home, stay safe, stay strong.

All the Best

• Posted

my doctor does not have my records they all got lost when we moved.

• Edited

not everyone with emphysema qualifys for letter madly your have to have certain stages to get it

do you know what stage you & your wife have or your lung function?

• Edited

hi, yes I'm the same and classed as high risk, I'm in uk, I only got my letter from the government yesterday but i had one from NHS a couple of weeks ago, I'd chase it up with your gp, also did you register online at gov UK highly vulnerable, you need to register also even before you get any letters I did

• Posted

I never knew you had to register 😦 i have had no letters from anyone

• Edited

I didn't register with anyone but got a letter advising me that I am at greater risk of becoming seriously Ill if I contracted Covid 19. I received this letter because I have severe emphysema. Not all emphysema patients have it severe thankfully. However if you do, then contact your GP who will advise you on what you can do. In the letter, it invited me to register online for extra help ie food parcels if there was no one to shop for me. That was the only registering I had to do. However, I understand that you can still register your vulnerability even if your copd is not classed as severe but you are still isolated for 13 weeks and cannot get your own shopping etc. But again, you would need to check with your GP. The thing about this letter is it has been sent to people that are in the severe category because they have also been told not to go out, even to the shop or exercise. The only thing we have been told it's ok to do is open a window. I think everyone else can go out for shopping and exercise but not everyone is able. On the government covid website, it gives a list of those people who are getting the letters so I wont copy it on here. I hope you get some help if you are unable to leave the house because of your condition. I've heard of a local man who had his leg amputated quite recently but amputation is not on the list!! Hard to believe isn't it.

• Edited

hi the only registering you have to do is exactly what you have done people that got sent the letter is because of your medical history and if your specific health conditions unfortunately means your body is a lot more at risk than others with this particular virus

there are people with certain terminal cancers that are not classed as extremely vulnerable because of different treatments or what cancer it is madness I know but it's to do with how this particular virus attacks the body

• Posted

How would an amputee suffer more with the virus than people with all their limbs? It is respiratory so those with lung disease and related conditions that it could affect are considered at risk.

• Posted

Hi Hypercat. Regarding your question to me a out whether an amputee would be more at risk than someone with limbs. Answer.

They wouldn't. The reason I used this man as an example is because he is unable to go shopping for his needs. He is I believe a new amputee but is not awarded the same government help as those, who are in the higher risk group like myself, who does qualify for extra help. I'm guessing he has carers but they are not able to shop for everyone they care for. Their job is to look after his personal needs..

• Edited

I have lung disease, but not severe, and a chronic painful back condition. I am in my 60's. I don't qualify for anything saying I am more vulnerable or get any help at all.

The most vulnerable are protected, which is how it should be, but I'm afraid everybody else is treated as being on an equal playing field when we clearly aren't. I had to queue up for 20 minutes the other day at the supermarket and I was in a lot of pain.

When I got back I decided I would have to shop online in future. But guess what, they were no online slots available at all.

If anyone can't go shopping or do it online they hopefully have family/friends to do it for them. If not then are many covid19 volunteers on FB who do shopping for them.

• Edited

In America, if your medical condition puts you at a higher risk than "healthy" people, then getting help is a matter of how kind are your family, friends, neighbors. As the number of COVID-19 cases increase, my pantry supplies steadily decrease. I have enough to last me for 2 to 3 weeks, but replacing items like bread, milk, eggs, fresh fruits/vegetables, and cheese becomes a more pressing concern. I'm lucky to have family that I can count on if I need them.

Home delivery of restaurant food has been around now for years, but now their advertising seems to have at least doubled. Order a Pizza, order a sandwich, order chinese or italian, and don't forget the tip! It's all good, yet my small budget can't afford much of such a luxury.

All the Best

• Edited

That sucks that they have put the delivery costs up, we do weekly shop with Tesco and they have told all us you had monthly subscription it's now free until it's all over.

And are doctors surgery now deliver are medication for us.

• Edited

John,

In America, the delivery of groceries or meals or products has been in place for years. A premium product price or delivery fee or shipping and handling cost have regularly been a part of that system. Some, especially now, are excluding those fees or shipping cost in favor of greater business volume.

As far as groceries are concerned, most stores contract out their shopping/delivery service. The contractors must charge to pay their personal to do the shopping and deliver the orders. The stores charge more for the products that the contractors buy for those placing the orders. Additionally, final delivery personnel will expect a Tip for delivery as well. Add it all up and it's 30 to 40 % more than shopping for yourself. Of course some will gladly pay extra to reduce their risk, but not all can afford the service.

Shopping for yourself as well as a neighbor/friend can help to reduce shopping trips and reduce some risk. My own pantry is fairly stocked, but I too run out of fresh bread and such. With COPD I must be very careful and venture out as little as possible.

All the Best

• Edited

There are local groups set up everywhere now with volunteers who will help with shopping and delivering prescription meds, so look on FB for your area.

• Posted

My "very well off" older brother keeps telling me that I should be ordering my groceries from a local grocery store business. What he fails to fully understand is that every product purchased in this way cost 30 to 40 % more than if you visit the same store yourself. In addition, a delivery fee is added to the bill. State food tax of 5% still applies and even a 10% tip on a $100.00 order is a minimum $10.00. For me it adds up to paying $150.00 for what cost $105.00 if I shop for myself. My small monthly budget just can't afford the higher priced luxury. Some can afford this service for a few months, but for some they are like Frances Marie Antoinette who said,"Let them eat cake." Indicating a severe lack of understanding as to those that must conserve every penny.

Wash your Hands

Stay at Home

Wear Mask and Gloves if you must buy buy groceries or visit your Chemist.

All the Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.