High Sodium Levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all In August 2017 was diagnosed with a pituitary Gland Adenoma in 2018 after the follow up neurosurgeon said tumor is gone. and Recommended me to an Endocrinologists which i was seeing up until July 2019 . My sodium levels are always Above 148 and constant thirst getting tired easily head aches come and go swelling of my whole body which will last a few weeks and then back to normal and back again with the weight gain, after all the test my Endocrinologists has done he said to drink extra cups of water.

since then I have relocated and new GP with current reports from previous doctors ect but my symptoms are all still there I'm just lost as I don't think they have done enough should I get another opinion .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This is way above my pay grade (i.e., zero, since I'm a card-carrying amateur) and I really shouldn't question an experience endo, but your symptoms look awfully like diabetes insipidus. (NB, not diabetes melitus, "ordinary diabetes"). Raging thirst, weeing all the time? Check Professor Wikipedia to see if it rings any bells.

Diabetes insipidus is caused by your pituitary not controlling vasopressin hormone properly.

The "Diagnosis" section of the Wikipedia article seems to match your high sodium and bloating.

• Posted

All i remember is the Endo just saying drink extra water which i do however the bloating is just getting worse but will be seeing the GP on Monday to refer me to a Endo local to where i live now and hopefully get some answers

• Posted

There is a hormone replacement if your vasopressin is low, which seems to work (though I wouldn't know, fortunately I dodged that bullet. Got others but judging from other people's reports I escaped very lightly 😦

Can I advise that you contact (preferably join) your national Pituitary patients association? Pituitary dot org in the US, dot org dot uk in the UK. (Full disclosure: I'm a member as their fact sheets really helped me in before and after surgery).

• Posted

My Gp sent me to do full blood works and 24 hour urine test again while he tries to find a Endo close to home in the country otherwise will have to visit my old endo again which is 4 hours away .and ill look into the groups you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.