High stomach acid vs. Low stomach acid

Posted , 5 users are following.

How do I know which one I have? From what I read, the symptoms are similar. I get bloating, distension, upset stomach, indigestion, occasional loose stool and most recently a gnawing sensation in my stomach...not a pain...just feels like some sort of irritation of the stomach lining. Is there a test I can do to tell if my stomach acid is high or low?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am starting to forget what normal feels like. The stomach discomfort has become like a norm but i don't want it to be. 

• Posted

Correction: use undiluted apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to test for high acid.  I put that you should add water by mistake.
  • Posted

Try 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 4-6 ounces of cold water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.

Drink the baking soda solution.

Time how long it takes you to belch. Time up to five minutes.  If it takes longer than five minutes to belch, that is an indication of low acid. production.

To test for high acid, try drinking a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in water. If it gives you a lot heartburn, this would suggest high acid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.