High t4 on levothyroxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I`m 37 years old male, now I`m on levothyroxine 50mcg, all days except weekends since nearly two months for fisrt time( TSH waving between 4.5 and 6 nearly seven during last seven years), at beginning with levo, TSH was on 4.2 and free t4 in the middle range but i`ve been full of hypo symptoms, On six weeks test remarkable results were:

Free T4 1.86 ng/dl 0.93-1.7

TSH 3.5 uui/ml 0.27-4.2

Doc didn`t ordered me Free t3(yet), i`ve had good and bad days since that began with levo, first three weeks were amazing tons of energy, at some point in the fourth i became to a zombie state, emaciated, not weak, but tired and sleepy, i`ve been haggard all the time, my boss asked me 'are you fine?', i`ve felt some relief from some symptoms(better sleep, skin now looks more hydrated), but the zombie state bothers me so much. Do you think that i`m overmedicated? Should i cut my dose to half or wait until next appointment on march 29?a third day without levo?take the levo at bedtime?

No palpitations or insomnia, that read are more common symptoms when overmedicated with levo. I dont know what to do, all this is new for me, i just wanna stay good again

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi HD, I don't think you're overmedicated. From my experience, this is typical levo stuff. You get some minor relief from hypo symptoms, but other hypo symptoms seem worse and you can't tell what's what.

Some people find it difficult if the meds are changed too fast. Also, it takes several months for the meds to level out. You may find your numbers are a little better after three months.

You seem like although your TSH was elevated, your dose is fairly low, so you have a fairly mild hypo thyroid case. You could try a high protein, gluten free (absolutely no cheating on the gluten) diet of clean organic foods for six months to see if that helps. Many people find this sort of diet helps calm the immune system and can even help put thyroid disease into remission. 

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hello I have never heard of anyone not taking their tablets each day, did your doctor say leave off for two days each week?
    • Posted

Weird, I've never heard of that. My guess is the dosing is a bit too high or the doc is increasing gradually. 

One way to adjust dosing is to take different amounts on alternate days. The doc may have just said omit weekends to make it easier, knowing that a symptom of hypothyroid patients is brainfog.

• Posted

Doesn't sound like you are overmedicated. May be advisable to get referred to an endocrinologist. Never heard of leaving off on weekends either.

• Posted

I`m with a endochrinologist with 15 years of experience on thyroid problems, she was who medicated me with levo and told me about leave appart the weekends

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.