High triglycerides - what to do -

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had been taking simvistatin for around 2 years.  Didn't have my cholesterol checked as i assumed the drug was doing it's job.  Well the cholesterol number was normal, however the good cholesterol was extremely low and the triglycerides extremely high.  Not sure if the statin drug is or is not responsible for this.

I have taken myself off of this drug and have totally modified my diet - not difficult to do when you realize you need to get healthy to stay alive and avoid heart disease.

I have to lose 13 pounds and keep my carbohydrates down while at the same time come up with enough calories to eat - this is like an impossible task.

Does anyone have a daily diet for this - how to get the numbers to add up right and get enough calories as well?

I'm struggling here smile

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you have a smart phone try the My Fitness Pal app...... it counts calories.... a bit tediousT at first, but you can eat anything you want, as long a you don't blow your calorie intake.  I lost over 50 lbs using it, as have several members of my family.

The body is like a car with an expandable gas tank; if you take in more fuel than you use, it stores it, and, at the extreme, parts of the car will break down due to the added weight.

• Posted

I use a fitness app which doesn't help me come up with a menu for an entire day with the right amount of carbohydrates sad  But thanks for  the tip, my main goal is not to lose the weight - it is to eat healthy and lower my triglycerides by eating the right percentage of carbohydrates mainly - very difficult.

• Posted

Taking fish oil, or krill oil supplements and eating fish staying away from white foods and sugar helps me keep my levels down. Exercise is the most important. Walking , skipping, pilotes, whatever exercise you choose 20 minutes a day is effective for most. 

There are many great food diets online cell apps as well as exercises.

• Posted

You are probably right, really need to get in that walking - can you buy those supplements from Walmart - are they safe? I know that iron and potassium supplements are dangerous so was wondering about the fish oil supplements? Thank you smile

• Posted

Hi there, i'm 47 (5'9 and weigh 12.4 stone) and found out i had high cholestral at around 5.6 (nothing too drastic) , but triglycerides were intially 12.9 (1124 US), over time i've got them down to around 4.4 and now the latest test put them up to 6.6 (around 580), I've now been put on fibrates which i'm not entirely keen on.. i've just started a low carb diet but being aware of any high saturated content and also have cut out pretty much most of my white bread intake which has been difficult. I've got another test in a week, i'll see how it goes. I think i need to start exercising again as i'm pretty inactive at the moment.

• Posted

I thought my triglycerides were high, yours were way higher than mine sad

• Posted

Actually I started working as a deli clerk at Walmart so I am on my feet walking back and forth all day.  I first weighed 195 pounds in January of 2015.  I now weigh 143 pounds.  I am 5'5".  My goal is 135 pounds, maybe less I look fairly good at the weight I'm at right now, but haven't had my levels checked lately.  I was told losing weight, exercise, and the right diet would do it, so I have been very strict as to what I eat as I am now eating for my health and not to look pretty smile  I am a member of myfitnesspal now and have excellent support so all is going good.  I will reply back when I get another count to post if all of this has worked to lower my triglycerides.  I don't do the fish oil, but do eat a lot of flax seed, and for fish I eat salmon.  The only other meat I will eat is skinless chicken, I watch carbs, sodium, sugar, and fat - per doctor's instructions.  It hasn't been easy, but I have gotten used to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.