High TSH everything else normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hoping to see if someone has had similar experiences. I have had sudden weight gain went from 180 to 256 in the matter of 2 years. Blood results showed slightly elevated white blood cell count, Normal T3, Normal T4, but a High TSH, in fact I got two blood tests with different doctors and labs, First in August TSH was 6.45 , and in October TSH was 8.25. 

All hormone levels came back normal, no infections in the blood ( although I did have a severe cold in September) 

I am a 30 year old female, at my insistence my doctor agreed to get an ultra sound on my breasts and ovaries, they did discover a cyst in one of my breasts, and then 2 cysts in my left ovary and 1 cyst in right ovary . 

My doctor believes I am in perfect health other than the weight and suggests making sure I am eating 3 times a day and working out 45 minutes a day. 

Any one have any suggestions on what other questions I should be asking my doctor?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nadiblue, 

I would caution you not to be too concerned about cysts on ovaries, as ovaries normally produce a cyst each month. I was surprized that these normal cysts were treated as pathology by several doctors until I eventually had a gynecologist look at the results. 

Cysts form in the body all the time, and often dissolve on their own. They can be an indication of autoimmune disease more than anything.

I can tell you that while I was trying to get tested for my thyroid disease, I was repeatedly sent for gynecological tests. Eventually, I felt this was just abusive, and went to an endocronologist. The giant cyst on my thyroid should have been an obvious hint, but I wasted years messing around getting tests that showed normal ovary function.

Also, it's really important to realize that hypothyroid disease can have HUGE affects on your hormone levels, to the point that hypothyroidism is known to cause infertility, irregular and heavy periods, spotting, low progesterone, and premature menopause. So at some point it's hard to know what causes what.

I can relate to your frustration, as although I have advanced thyroid disease, my numbers don't show up very unusual. Rather, the giant cyst on my thyroid is a strong indication.

For your blood tests, you might try a rT3 test and T3 antibody test to see if your T3 is off.  High rT3 is known to be caused by mercury and other chemical exposure. Radiation, bromine exposure also can result in thyroid problems that don't show up in topical blood work. 

Lastly, you may try an ultrasound on your thyroid to check for cysts there, as thyroid cysts indicate Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) disease.

Many thyroid sufferers go decades without a diagnosis. 

Hope that helps give you some direction.

• Posted

Thank you, I didnt think to get an ultrasound on my thyroid. I will go in to get a second opinion, they did do a more advanced T3 and T4 , however, my doctor said that the levels where within normal range, all hormone levels where normal. 

I will go in for a second opinion and maybe finally get referred to a endocronologist. Will get the vitamin D tested as well as suggested in the next comment

• Posted

Humm..  Was the WBC high on both test also?
    • Posted

If so, perhaps a low lying infection in the body is elevating the TSH level?  Not sure about this, just something I'm wondering about.  Anyway.. with a TSH that is rising on 2 consecutive tests, perhaps you should get a second opinion from an endocrinologist.   Oh.. and also get your Vitamin D checked, as Vitamin D deficiency can mimic the symptoms of hypothyroidism and that includes weight gain too.  It's actually very common, but rarely checked by doctors.

• Posted

Thank you , Will schedule another meeting this week to test vitamin D, I had elevated white blood cell count each blood test, as well as almost normal iron levels, so I had figured it was my chronic anemia. 
  • Posted

No answers , but I have to wonder if something in your diet is up setting how your body is processing foods. Some foods cause your body to process fats and carbohydrates differently. Not versed well enough. I thought I had a good background in nutrition, but I am finding there is a lot of stuff to know that isn't that well known. Advise against extreme diets and processed foods.

• Posted

I usually eat a varied diet that I cook from scratch due to my cultural preferences, to stay on the safe side I also pay more money to eat organic, non-gmo. However, you could be right, I recently started working in a restaurant consultation company and have been eating out more than I used to. My doctor thought it was the lack of meals, I went from eating 3-4 times a day to 1-2 a day due to hectic work schedule, which eventually evolved into a lack of appetite.  

I decided just to do all the tests available at my clinic, something somewhere will yeild an answer. In the meantime i restocked on organic raw ingredients and started making meals to remove excuses for not eating, set a timer on my iwatch to remind me to eat, started drinking apple cider vinegar in the mornings and probiotics in the afternoons, and increased my workouts from pilates 2 a week with walking every day to walking a minimum of 8.5 km daily, pilates for at least 45 minutes daily, eating a slice of raw turmeric and raw ginger with warm lemon honey water after taking a apple cider shot. 

lets see if it helps rolleyes

• Posted

You seem real together!  Good luck to you, but somehow I think you need luck. Thank you for the response
    • Posted

seem is the key word. lol 

I am trying I cant say I am doing perfectly though. Finding time to workout and eat is proving difficult but Eventually I will get there....hopefully. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.