Higher blood pressure in the afternoon

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I take 50mg of Amlodipine when I wake up on a morning and 5mg of Losartan when I go to bed at night. This seems to control my waking blood pressure which is usually at around 130/75, but by the afternoon my blood pressure has risen to around 150/85. I'm wondering if I should change the time I take either of my tablets? I thought that blood pressure was meant to drop as the day goes on, but mine seems to rise instead! Any advise from people who've had a similar problem would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi..I think u said doses for the opposite drug...I think u should just reduce your salt n put in more exercises rather than just adding more drugs..
    • Posted

Hi Drasadaf

Thank you for your reply and your advice. You were right, Ive checked my tablets and I had put the dosage the wrong way round! It is 5mg of Amlodipine and 50mg of Losartan. 

• Posted

Hi Karen. Drasadaf mentioned salt intake and exercise. I agree totally. Less salt and processed foods. Reduce or better still, stop, drinking alcohol. Introduce beetroot and garlic into diet. If overweight......lose weight. And exercise. Its not easy but tends to work! Good luck and Seasons Greetings.
    • Posted

Hi Fisherman,

Thank you for replying to my question. I will certainly cut right back on processed foods and I know I'm overweight so I think my New Year's resolution this year will be to try to lose some and up my exercise level too. I don't drink at all, so alcohol reduction is not needed.

Regarding when I take my meds, do you think that as my blood pressure rises from early afternoon, I should take my night time medication earlier? Maybe at 4pm rather than around 11pm as I have been doing? It seems to make more sense, as blood pressure will fall as I sleep anyway?

Thanks for any further advice.

• Posted

Hi Karen. I take my ramipril in the morning and my statin at night, so can't really say if taking your prescription earlier would help. As long as no side effects, give it a go.

I think Lifestyle changes, however small, will help. They are a so and so to adhere to tho! I adore real ale and cutting that out has not been easy but I have lost nearly a stone and altho not overweight in the first place my bp has benefitted. Enjoy Xmas then give it a go! 

• Posted

Hi ..u should maintain a gap of 12 hrs between the two drugs so as to have a 24 hr BP control...yes bp does drop while asleep..especially deep relaxed sleep.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks Drasadaf. That makes sense. I think I'll bring my late night medication forward a little to around 7pm then. Maybe I'll have better control of my blood pressure by doing that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.